News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bull Frog Snot

Started by ejseider, September 18, 2016, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got an engine that has had some traction problems, so I got a jar of Bull Frog Snot.  But I can't get it to stick to the driver wheels.  I've tried cleaning the wheels, application with Q-tips, tooth picks, small paint brushes, etc. but nothing works.  Any tips on how to use BFS?

jonathan

Here's how I do it:

Locomotive must be cradled upside down.

Use some alligator clips to wire leads to tender wheels, or wherever you can apply power to the locomotive, without interfering with the drivers.

Clean the driver with isopropyl alcohol, with a q-tip or toothpick, while the driver is running.  Allow it a minute to dry.

While the driver is running (50% power works OK), apply a drop of BFS to the driver, with a toothpick--doesn't take much.

Allow the driver wheel to continue spinning for, oh, about 30 minutes while the BFS dries on the driver. This will smooth out the BFS while it's still liquidy. I apply BFS to only one driver.  This is all that is needed... any more wheels and you start to affect electrical continuity.  You need as many pick up wheels as possible for good pick up.

Once the process is done, you cannot push to locomotive on the track. That will eventually rub off the BFS.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just thought of something else:

If you've had your BFS for a long time, it tends to dry out.

I find that if you add a couple drops of windex (glass cleaner) to the jar of BFS and stir, it comes back to life.

Just a useful hint I picked up along the way.

Regards,

Jonathan