Just purchased Bachmann 4-8-4 want to add DCC

Started by Hunter494, September 15, 2016, 08:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter494

I just bought a 4-8-4 Union Pacific model 53502, I want to add a dcc decoder but when I called Bachmann help desk they told me there was a dcc plug in the tender unit with a hinged door. I am trying to figure out how to get the tender open but I don't want to break anything. There are no instructions on how to add a 8 pin decoder in this locomotive with the paper work shipped with the box. Also there is no hinged door that I can find. I really would like to add a dcc decoder with sound but I can not find a way to open up the tender. The parts diagram shows a dcc connector in the tender but I really don't want to disassemble  without some advice.
Thanks in advance;
Bill

Len

On the diagram it looks like you just spread the lower sides of the tender body and lift it off. On the tender frame you can see the notches near the front and rear trucks where the clips on the body lock in.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunter494

JBPRO_TX

I know this is an old post but I myself recently purchased the 4-8-4 Union Pacific model 53502 and wanted to add a DCC module (8 pin) with sound to the unit. I too called Bachmann for assistance and the customer service tech was helpful. However, I found that the instructions provided by Bachmann, both verbally and written, were not the best way for me to perform the installation. I do want to note that I accept no responsibility if you were to follow the experience I have to share. But, for me, it definitely worked best. Prior to attempting the install of the decoder, I would suggest that you reference the following document on the Bachmann website (www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/89912.pdf). The document is helpful and will give you an idea of the breakdown of the tender. You will notice that to the bottom right of the document there is an insert with a diagram and instructions; however, the instructions are very vague and do not provide information that, during my install experience, I found to be good to know. The following is what I experienced and will be sharing regarding the installation of a DCC decoder with or without a speaker inside the tender of the the 4-8-4 Union Pacific model 53502.

Per the instructions provided by Bachmann, which was to use a screwdriver placed between the two cables exiting the front of the tender that attach to the loco, I found that it would require a wide slot-tip screwdriver and a risk of putting to much pressure pressing down which in turn could snap the bottom plastic tender platform.  After much thought, I decided to use a very thin jewelers screwdriver and gently lift the top center of the front of the tender with my fingers which allowed me to carefully slide the flat end of the jewelers screwdriver in between the top center front of the tender and the top of the tender front cover.  Once slightly inside the tender with the jewelers screwdriver I carefully and gently pried the tender front cover forward and the the tender cover came out from the tender body. Please keep in mind and do notice that there is on the bottom of the tender front cover a tip that is inserted into the bottom body of the tender which holds the tender front cover in place. This tip is shown in the diagram and is visible when you look at the bottom of the tender carriage just in front of the front truck assembly.

It is important to share that the Bachmann instructions say that after removing the front cover and screw (front screw), that you then pull out the metal plates with the main PC board. However, once I had the tender front cover off and I was able to examine the inside of the tender body, I did notice red and black wires were soldered to the main PC board and both wires attached on their respective end to a screw and nut for electrical pickup from the truck wheels.  I also noticed that there are also two additional wires (blue) that are soldered to the main PC board for the rear light on the tender.  It is imperative to note that the metal plate with the main PC board attached cannot be pulled out all the way as per Bachmann's instructions unless the two screws holding the main PC board are removed and the main PC board is separated from the metal plates.  If the main PC board is not separated from the metal plates then the metal plates could only be pulled out gently until the slack of the wires is taken up. This information that I am sharing is not noted in the "www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/89912.pdf".

As for myself, since my intentions were to install a DCC decoder with a speaker I separated the DCC main PC board from the metal plate in order to install the speaker inside towards the rear of the tender body being careful not to damage any of the wiring and connection points. Especially the wires for the rear light on he tender.

Hopefully, I was able to be as clear and concise as possible in order to help others in the installation of a decoder in the 4-8-4 Union Pacific model 53502.

rich1998

If the OP is familiar with hard wiring this would work.

https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/1223

SoundTraxx has suggestions in their decoder selector page.

https://soundtraxx.com/reference/decoder-selector

If you do not do hard wiring, with the SoundTraxx,you can cut back the shrink just enough to remove the 9 pin JST connector and buy the 9 pin to eight pin adapter.

Rich

Trainman203

Any of the decoder manufacturers should be able to help in getting their products installed.  Soundtraxx in particular is very accommodating.

rich1998

SoundTraxx is pretty good but I have electrical experience.
There is a former Yahoo DCC group with many members but I cannot remember the name and SoundTraxx has it's own Internet blog, I think. I get email from them every so often. It might be on their site.
I have used SoundTraxx products a lot in the past.

Edit.

Cut the caps. They are marked with a C. If you see what looks like two green resistors or coils. they are inductors. Zero resistance. Marked with an L. On some locos, they are in the loco, not on the PC board.

Rich