News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switch stands

Started by Ernie K, September 16, 2016, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie K

Good morning.
I remember reading somewhere that HO switch stands are too large to be scale prototype.
If this is true, would one be better off using N scale stands on an HO setup?
Thanks.
ErnieK

WoundedBear

Usually the N scale ones don't have enough throwbar travel to work with an HO turnout.

Sid

Ernie K

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on September 16, 2016, 01:00:29 PM
Usually the N scale ones don't have enough throwbar travel to work with an HO turnout.

Sid

Hmmmm.....I have read quite a bit of a lot of folks successfully using them ???  And the reason they do, is they look better as the Ns are more to scale looking than the HO versions.

For example, Doc Wayne:

Posted by doctorwayne on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:56 PM

I use mostly the 202S and 206S ones, with a couple of 220S models where needed.  All, including the 206S, which are meant for N scale, work well with Atlas, Shinohara, and Micro Engineering HO scale turnouts.
The only modification to use them with Atlas code 83 turnouts is to remove the raised nub from near the end of the Atlas throwbar, although the code 100 turnouts may have a different arrangement.

Wayne

'member him?? ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

I remember him......another one that seems to have disappeared.

Jim.....look at this page. https://www.walthers.com/caboose-industries

I don't know how you get the N ones to work with that little of drawbar movement. Do you relocate the attachment point? I know I tried using HO ones on N turnouts when I was playing around with the HOn30 scene......never could get them to work and had to swap for proper N scale ones.

If the drawbar travel is too little, I don't see how they could successfully throw the points. But then again....what do I know?

Sid

Trainman203

I'm using these on my layout.

https://www.walthers.com/high-level-switch-stand-190-quot-travel-sprung-w-lantern-targets

They work really well.  A little oversize but so what. To me they look better than the more popular ground throws. 

I bent  the throw bar down a little which helps the appearance.  I'm waiting to finish the scenery around them before installing the targets.

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on September 16, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
......another one that seems to have disappeared.

I don't know how you get the N ones to work with that little of drawbar movement.

I know I tried using HO ones on N turnouts when I was playing around with the HOn30 scene......never could get them to work...

Sid

-Yep, packed up his tent took his stuff and went back over to MRR...

-I don't have the answer for ya Sid, sorry.  Some research may shed some light.  Clearly the Doc and others have had success doing it.

-Never heard of anyone trying it on the other direction like you did, using HO for N, only the other way, N for HO, with success.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

on30gn15

It's probably already been considered but I'm still going to raise the question of which size ground throws can one's 1:1 scale fingers reliably work over the passage of time?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I highly recommend Caboose Industries switch stands.  They look and work great!
the Bach-man

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 16, 2016, 10:34:32 PM
What is MRR?

Model Railroader as in forum.

Quote from: the Bach-man on September 16, 2016, 11:41:04 PM
Dear All,
I highly recommend Caboose Industries switch stands.  They look and work great!
the Bach-man

That is great to know.  But, if that is the sentiment, then how come one a y'all, most likely the Yardmaster, I would guess, Deleted the 2 threads started by RAM about Caboose Hobbies going out of business ??? ::)

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Caboose Hobbies, the hobby shop that is closing, is not the same as Caboose Industries, that makes the switch stands and is still open.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

My misunderstanding.  Thanks for pointing that out Len and for clarifying.  My apologies for any confusion. 

Caboose Hobbies is in CO, correct?  Where is Caboose Industries headquartered?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Caboose Industries is in Freeport, Illinois.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

They are very approachable.  I called about replacing some lost parts and the guy as totally polite and helpful.