News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dcc Engines Shorting Out

Started by cdat1963, October 16, 2016, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James in FL

@cdat1963
I'm late to the party but I'm thinking like @Len.
It sounds more like an "Open" rather than a "Short"
All the suggestions here, on applying power to dead sections of a turnout, are spot on.
They all have merit. Live frogs are always a plus.
Also, put a long straight edge on the railhead make sure you're level (no dips), over all your turnouts, straight and diverging.
Do you have access to a multi-meter?
I am assuming you are using EZ-Track? Yes?

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 18, 2016, 10:38:35 PM
There are more negative on Bachmann than positive. Track,controllers,switches, etc.

By me alone or in general?

As a Bachmann user I feel you degrade the product.

Unfortunate that you feel that way, but this appears to be more like an insecurity on your part.  Am I poking fun at you or critquing you, for buying the products?  Nope.  If you like the products, keep buying and using them, no one's stopping you or dictating what you should buy or use.

Name  it and prove it/

You clearly have zero memory capacity; remember the Silver Series cars I said I bought that come with metal wheel-sets?  The same cars you bought but did not realize they were supposed to come with metal wheel-sets bc the ones you purchased had the wheel-sets replaced by plastic ones?

You answered what I have been talking about with "before they get deleted".

You may be thinking strictly in terms of my posts, which I suspect you are, but that is not what I was inferring.  If you fail to understand the significance of those actions (deletions of posts that are critical of products (or service for that matter), well, then you will likely never understand the significance.

I could in time do this to one of my standard turnouts that is not used anymore and report back? While your at it hold your breath and wait for my answer.

No worries, I've long since learned I can't count on your following through with what you say you will do...

Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

What does this bickering  back and forth have to add to the OP's question? Take it someplace else.

That's my biggest gripe with this board and why I don't post very much. One guy says it's up and another says it's more up, I've heard better discussions from 4 year olds. Grow up for Christ's sake.

Len

Although it's aimed at DCC layouts, the ideas in the "Turnouts" section of Allan Gartner's "Wiring for DCC" site also eliminate a lot of problems on DC layouts. It can be found at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: AGSB on October 19, 2016, 09:26:33 AM
What does this bickering  back and forth have to add to the OP's question? Take it someplace else.

That's my biggest gripe with this board and why I don't post very much. One guy says it's up and another says it's more up, I've heard better discussions from 4 year olds. Grow up for Christ's sake.

Hey, numero uno, I did nothing to initiate this back and forth business.  Number 2, do you not understand the sense of my question about EZ track turnout/switch modification?  Number 3, are YOU adding something to this thread?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 17, 2016, 06:53:07 AM
In the past, I have come across an excellent YouTube video of how to do just what Mr. Ward suggests with the turnout, on a traditional turnout/switch, but can imagine it would be a little more difficult to do with EZ track since the roadbed is already attached.

it wouldn't really be any harder than with any other switch. you'd simply drill down through the roadbed and loop your wires up to the rails from under the layout. just the same as you would with a soldered feeder wire.

or, as a precautionary measure, you could solder those jumpers in place before you lay the track, and only route them under the plastic roadbed. an ounce of prevention......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

At last, some direction.

Still, I would not categorize the process as any easier, or no less difficult, considering what is involved with having to work (around) with the plastic roadbed in the way, or the finished product looking nicer for that matter, than being able to do this with a "regular" turnout/switch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2zRi1mWb0
Keep Calm and Carry On