News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big HAULER BATTERY OPPERATED

Started by docronken, September 11, 2016, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronken

I HAVE A #7 BIG HAULER THAT THE WIRES HAVE BROKEN OFF ONTHE BACK SIDE OF THE SWITCHES L0CATED RIGHT ABOVE THE DRAW BAR.  WHAT I NEED IS A WIRING DIAGRAM.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Docronkin,

There was never a wiring diagram or parts list put out by Bachmann.   This is because the Battery Big Hauler was made as a toy rather than a scale model. They were produced from 1988 to 1991 and sold at big box stores like K-Mart etc. as toys.  They were at the time kind of like the cheap G Scale trains from Scientific toys seen in stores now.   

Lee Riley of Bachmann at the time told me it was an experiment at the time to test out the large scale market for US prototype items.  It was a hot seller and paved the way for the extensive line of Large Scale products of today. The Battery version was pretty unreliable and was quickly replaced by conventional track powered Big Hauler 4-6-0s

Possibly someone on the forum  has a diagram or photos of a diagram they made them selves and could help, but I doubt it. 

You will have to experiment and see what works.  You might be better off buying another one on Ebay, but if you do be sure the loco has a cab number 7 or ending in 7 which would be compatible with your transmitter.

Best of luck with your project.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

docronken

Thanks for the help.   I guess I will expirment with the wiring and try to find another one to look at.  I grew up in an age when you fixed everthing not throw it away.  thats one area I am not with the times.

Loco Bill Canelos

You are welcome.  I was just looking at a photo of the back end of the locomotive and noticed that the connection on the left is for the speaker while the center one is for the sound and the one on the right is for the the on off for the receiver.   These are simple two wire on off switches.  If you can trace the wires from the receiver to the on off switch, that would get you off to a good start. 

One trick might be to leave the transmitter off and touch the wires together in every combination.  When the two that turn on the receiver are connected it should get a reaction and turn the motor.  Be sure to have fresh b atteries in the loco.  No guarantees, but worth a try!!

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

docronken

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. 
I also am having trouble down loading part 3 and part 4.
When looking at the address part 1 and 2 are different than part 3 and 4.
Maybe I should have said the Header or HTML
Thanks again