News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

72' combine

Started by Trainman203, September 13, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I got one lettered for the Southern.  It is a beautiful model and the interior lighting is particularly well done, placed realistically and prototypically incandescent and dim.

However, I don't want the lights on all the time.  Is there some easy way to turn them off?

Trainman203

jonathan

Yes, I know this, but... it's not easy.

The "easiest way" would be to open up the car, find one of the main leads and wire in a micro switch--a switch that could be mounted to the bottom of the car.

The "coolest way" would be to order one of those magnetic systems available from Walthers.  It's hard to do, but once wired in, you wave a magical, magnetic wand over the car and presto, chango, the lights go off.

Both ways require a bit of disassembly of a passenger car... can be daunting for some... especially so, since there are no instructions to follow.  Also, it seems every passenger car, ever made, was assembled just a bit differently than the one that came before.

This is why you have received no answers... "easy" is relative.

I have added lights to all my passenger cars, and each one was a project unto itself. I even tried the battery method once, and mounted an on/off switch... no fun at all.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Another thing you can do is if you will be parking the train for some time is to have a switch where you can kill the power to that section of track. 

Trainman203

So the answer is, that car comes with no off on switch.  Have to wire something in, either the Walthers magnetic system or another kind of switch.  And I must disassemble a car with no guidance.

For what they charge for the car, somehow I would expect a switch.

ACY

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 14, 2016, 03:41:56 PM
For what they charge for the car, somehow I would expect a switch.
Other manufacturers who have more expensive passenger cars than Bachmann have either switches underneath or utilize a magnetic wand.

Trainman203

My friend had the best , and easiest , idea yet.  Reverse the wheels in one truck .