News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO electric models

Started by btrogu, September 20, 2016, 03:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrogu

Since Bachmann [roduced nice models of the E-33 electric (Penn Central, New Haven plus others) are there any plans to produce a model of the PRR electric E-44 models?  They also extended into Penn Central and Conrail era's

Of course, since you offer the PRR GG1 models, it would be also nice to have the PRR P5-a and P5-b models....but that is asking toooo much!!!

Thanks

Barry T.

on30gn15

It would be fun if there was the market demand to support production of the GG1's "little brother" P5a. Alvin Staufer's 1962 book Pennsy Power describes them on page 267 as "Some were square, some were streamlined, but all were rugged."

I'm partial to the funky looking L5, but I guess that's just me  ;D

Staufer says this about the DD1, page 250, italics are as in printed text: "Anyway -- "the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' " and the DD1's were real gems. In addition to un-believable power they were cheap to maintain."
And on page 252, "The DD1's secret of success can be attributed to two factors -- careful planning and simplicity."
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

btrogu

I have dreamt about affordable PRR electrics.  The PC E-33 was a nice model (of course, it was originally a Virginian loco).  The E-44 is a push, I don;t believe there is any market demard anymore since the average age of the model railroad modelers is probably around 55-60 and we are dying off!

Any youngster who gets in the model railroad hobby would not remember anything past the E-60 models!

The Con-Cor MP-54 MU electrics are nice models.  I did make a "bride & groom" set....one with the pantograph and a trailer car that were semi-permantly coupled.  I grew up in New Brunswick and saw them, rode them and was able to get some pix in the PRR and PC era. 

A guy named Andy has a nice model railroad modeled in the late 1950's PRR main line from NYC thru Elizabeth.  It is a huge undertaking with all of the catenary that is required!!!!

J3a-614

The P-5 ang P-5a would make sense to me; as I recall, those were the most common electrics on the PRR besides the GG1, and they ran a pretty long time, too. 

And they are Pennsy. . .

btrogu

The PRR P-5, P-5a and P-5b were of the Standard Railroad of the World designs, although some were built by other builders.  The E-44 was an original PRR design but built by others.

The brass E-44 model did not run very well and the brittle gears broke after a few years.  It needed ALOT of TLC to make it run presentable.

The P-5a was a nice, boxy brutish looking unit.  I remember hearing some interesting stories about the P-5's in their last days!

Perhaps one day, who knows!!!!!

Len

New Haven had a lot of electrics too. In fact, the running gear of the NH EP-3, except for relocating the end trucks slightly, essentially became the  PRR GG-1. Although with a fancier body.

From pics of PRR and NH electrics, it looks like some 'standard' HO power trucks could be made and used under a variety of electric locos.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

btrogu

The New haven EP-3 was the basis for the GG-1, which Lowey designed a smoother car body (of course after the 4899 which became the 4800 Old Rivets).  NH did have some interesting electrics indeed along with interesting paint schemes!!!

The E-33 trucks and frame can be made into an E-44 with minor modifications.

It's really too bad there weren't more Eastern electric modelers, then the manufacturers would have produced lesser expensive models.  But, no demand, no models!

Over my many decades in the hobby, the manufacturers love to produce models that sell - ATSF, UP, PRR, etc.   Whether of not that particular railroad had that model or not!

Perhaps when we be re-incarnated things will change!!!!

jward

so make santa fe and espee gg1s then......lol
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Rick Abramson

When will the HO ACS-64 be released?

As info, "E33" was a PC designation, not GE!  On the VGN and N&W they were class EL-C, on the NH they were EF-4. PC re-classified them E33 after the merger with the NH, and they kept that classification on CR.