News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gear drive loco's

Started by jeff langmack, September 20, 2016, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff langmack

To the forum, The opportunity came my way to round out the big three gear drive loco's. I finally got the Heisler. What a hot rod compared to the other two. It is very nice to look at and it runs great. I can't seem to find much background a to when Bachmann actually made this loco and how many road names did they build? Thanks for your time. Jeff Langmack

Loco Bill Canelos

Jeff
Here is what I have in the database:

81794   OL Co   102   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, Oregon Lumber Co.   P   1   L   Spectrum   $799.00    osf trucks,oil
81795   LRL Co   5   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, Little River Logging Co.   P   1   L   Spectrum   $799.00    onion stack
81796   PCL Co   8   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, Pardee Curtin Lumber Co.   P   1   L   Spectrum   $799.00    wood stack
81797   LS Co   None   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, Lukens Steel Co.   P   1      Spectrum   $799.00    osf trucks
81798   None   None   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, painted, unlettered red white trim   P   1   L   Spectrum   $799.00    onion stack red white trim
81799   None   None   2003   ~ Loco   Heisler, painted, unlettered   P   1   L   Spectrum   $799.00    straight stack black

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jeff langmack

Bill Thanks much. Are there any operational short cummings that I should know about? I know that the Heisler has been discontinued for quite some time and the parts availability is short. I did a complete service on it before running it I find it (the Heisler) to be a nice runner. Again Thanks Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

Jeff,

They have in general been good runners.  When well taken care of they seem to be fairly trouble free.  As you well know they are highly detailed and when handled a lot, fragile detail parts can be broken.   They are best run at lower more realistic speeds.   A friend had his damaged when it derailed on a three foot high trestle and fell to the ground.  It has never run right since, so there are some risks in everyday use.

Enjoy your Heisler!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

Hey Jeff, while talking geared steam, y'all might enjoy this website,
QuoteGeared Steam Locomotive Works©
Preserving and promoting information on North American built geared steam locomotives.
http://www.gearedsteam.com/
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

jeff langmack

Thanks for the site. It is great! Jeff