Removing Factory Lettering From Bachmann Cars

Started by RkyGriz, September 29, 2016, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi everybody. I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the factory applied lettering from Bachmann rolling stock without sanding it off. I bought a new ET&WNC boxcar on Ebay for my next Virginia & Truckee freight train project, and I was thinking that being able to simply remove the factory applied lettering without damaging the original paint would be a great way to save a little cash since this boxcar is close enough in color to the real boxcar that's housed in Carson City,Nevada at the Nevada State Railroad Museum to suit my needs.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,guys!
Andrew

Kevin Strong

I've not found anything that works consistently. I've used an engine degreaser called "Super Clean" with success on a few projects, but it works much better on the gold lettering than on the white (which it doesn't seem to impact at all).

I've used 91% rubbing alcohol to remove paint, but it doesn't discriminate between lettering and paint. It all comes off (or it all sits there blithely laughing at me in my attempt).

Brake Fluid is another option, but--like the alcohol--if it works, it tends to work on everything, not just the lettering.

Later,

K

SophieB

Super Clean works for me about 75% of the time. Let it soak and then rub with a soaked cotton ball and pencil eraser. A lot of rolling stock isn't actually painted, the base color is just the color of the plastic it was cast with.

Loco Bill Canelos

I have had some success using decal setting solution and an eraser.  some have had success with Testors DEcal Remover.

When removing lettering from any brand of car, I always assume it will fail and damage the paint, or leave a shine that is difficult to hide.  That way I am very happy if it works, and not surprised if it does not.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RkyGriz

Hi. I tried some Micro Sol on the decals but that was fruitless. I had some left over Tuscan Red Oxide paint and tried that over them and presto! Decals were gone! Well, well covered and invisible. It meas a total repaint of the car, but that's ok.
THanks for the advice guys!
Later,
Andrew