News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing Box Car Strap Steps

Started by RkyGriz, October 04, 2016, 03:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi, everybody. I have a boxcar that needs a complete set of new replacement strap steps. Bachmann has metal replacements available for  $4.20 each! YIKES! That is nearly $25.50(with tax and shipping) for a set of them! Does anybody else know where I can find a replacement set besides Bachmann? I'm looking at some from Ozark Miniatures that would cost less than $10.00 with shipping. Those are made of metal (unpainted) but I'm uncertain of the scale of these Bachmann cars. Are they 1/24, 1:22.5, or 1:20.3 ?
Appreciate any help that you can offer!
Thank you!
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

You have the wrong straps for Big Hauler Box cars.  The ones you need are here:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_674_682&products_id=8864

I also recommend that modelers buy a cheap Ebay car just for parts, since they can often be had for as low as $15 plus shipping.

Have fun,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RkyGriz

Thanks,Bill. Much cheaper. I'll probably just buy those.
THanks again!!
Andrew

railtwister

GrandtLine makes large scale stirrup steps in rust colored delrin engineering plastic (pretty flexible & tough), a package contains at least 8, enough for a couple of cars. Walthers carries them, but they're currently O/S, expected in late October.

Bill in FtL

zubi

Andrew, where did you find these metal replacement stirrup steps at $4.25? I cannot identify them in the on-line parts catalogue. I suppose these may be 'spectrum' stirrup steps. Many thanks and best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

RkyGriz

Thanks for the tip, Wade. I've already taken the steps off a Bachmann gondola in order to complete my V&T boxcar. Now I'll be able to replace them on the gondola for less than $6 bucks.