News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Traction Tire Replacement

Started by cmsluss, October 18, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all -

I have a Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation that needs traction tires.   I would value advice and tips from those who have done  this job before I tackle the project.

Thank you!

gatrhumpy

I've never done it before, but it's not that hard. Just gently remove the side rods from the wheel where the traction tires (TT) go, put them on gently using a micro screw driver to put them around the wheel, and then put them back.

cmsluss

Thank you for your tip!  I appreciate the help! I don't want to get the drive wheels out of quarter, so I thought I'd get some input from folks who have changed the 8mm tires. 

plas man

I have checked mine and it looks like there is a slot for screwdriver in the screw on the fly crank , but it looks like the fly crank and screw head and crank pin is one piece moulded base metal ???

why Bachman did you not put tyres on the second axle , as these are not connected to the valve gear ?

RGPerkins

I respectfully request that Bachmann post a link to the instructions on how to replace traction tires on this locomotive and each of those locomotives they offer especially in n-scale.
Perhaps a simply YouTube video would be an excellent option for instructions.

cmsluss

I really appreciate the excellent input and suggestions!   I'm glad I created this post!
I do agree it would be much more convenient if the traction tires of the 2-8-0 were on an axle not connected to the drive rods.
I have the Spectrum 4-8-4 Class J... and the traction tires are much easier to access with the drivers not connected to the rods.

Thank you all!