News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-2 model 80102

Started by elvira43, October 21, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elvira43

Will this run on a straight dc track. If so why does mine run about 1 foot and stop? What voltage does it require? Amps?
Thanks.

jbrock27

Where exactly, is it stopping?
Keep Calm and Carry On

elvira43

Not sure I understand questions, ,,, on the track, transformer hooked up and track tested with other ho scale locos. This loco moves about one foot before it stops running, light comes on, but will not move at full throttle. I am running DC only. It tests fine if I turn loco upside down and put in a cradle and introduce power directly to wheels. Just wont run on my track. Track is new and clean. Continuity test on track checks out fine with ohm-meter. Power to track 16V.

jbrock27

Quote from: elvira43 on October 21, 2016, 04:29:06 PM
Not sure I understand questions, ,,, on the track...This loco moves about one foot before it stops running...Just wont run on my track.

It was just 1 question, singular.

Ok elvira mistress of the dark, now I am the one who does not understand; does the loco run on your track at all or not at all ???

Since you said it runs about a foot, then stops, my question is where exactly (on the track then obviously) does the loco stop?  Conversely, what portion of the track does it run fine on?  For example, does it run on one section, then stop after it crosses rail joiners?  
Keep Calm and Carry On

elvira43

on a section of the track that is connected to the transformer.

jbrock27

Ok.

Just that single section of track that is connected to the power pack?  Is it really a foot (12") or just the section (9") that is the typical length of an HO terminal section of track?

What kind (make) of track is this?

What is the condition of the rail joiners connecting other sections of track?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: elvira43 on October 22, 2016, 10:25:53 AM
To add to this wonderful quiz  ;D, If it's stalling on the piece that the power supply is hooked to....
1- is the power supply working and/or connections solid?
2- is this section isolated from another dc power supply for a block section?
3- Is the terminal track bad?
4- Do you own a multi-meter where you can check the tracks before and after the dead track?

Are multiple power supplies in use, what is the voltage on the track,power supply?
Is it shorting out or just dead.

Len

I've had locos run okay upside down in a cradle, but stop when placed on a track, and it's usually been one of two things:

a. Something in the running gear is binding when the loco is right side up, that is free to move when upside down.

b. Something in the loco is shifting, and jamming the mechanism when the loco is right side up, but drops out of the way when it's upside down.

If it was an electrical short, or open, the headlight would not stay on the way you describe it does.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

I think what the others were asking was, does the locomotive stop in the same place every time? if you place it on the tracks at another location does it go to the same spot then stop? or does it still stop after a foot? does it run well in reverse?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 22, 2016, 08:05:25 PM
To add to this wonderful quiz  ;D

There is nothing wonderful about any of this.  If it appears as a "quiz", it is because elvira has been reluctant to provide details and the few provided, have been contrary.  This has made it necessary to ask several questions in an attempt to be of some assistance.

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 22, 2016, 08:05:25 PM
1- is the power supply working and/or connections solid?
3- Is the terminal track bad?
4- Do you own a multi-meter where you can check the tracks before and after the dead track?

Elvira has already provided info that answers these questions; since he said the loco runs on the section hooked up to the power supply, obviously the power supply and terminal track are both working.  And yes, he has use of a multi meter, he has already indicated he used one.

Quote from: Len on October 22, 2016, 11:17:17 PM
I've had locos run okay upside down in a cradle, but stop when placed on a track, and it's usually been one of two things:

a. Something in the running gear is binding when the loco is right side up, that is free to move when upside down.

b. Something in the loco is shifting, and jamming the mechanism when the loco is right side up, but drops out of the way when it's upside down.

Len

Len, one of the few things elvira has confirmed thus far, is that the loco runs "about 1 foot".  That would have to be in the upright position, right?

Here is another question for elvira; In your first sentence you asked about it running on "a straight dc track".  Are you asking if the loco can run on straight DC or simply on track that is straight?  Also, is this a DCC or DCC ready loco?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Since Elvira said it runs fine upside down, running about 1 foot right side up doesn't negate either of the probable mechanical issues I mentioned. In fact, that makes it more probable the problem is mechanical, either binding or jamming, in nature.

Len

jbrock27

I get what you are trying to ascertain, but why would it run for a full 12" before stopping if the cause was a binding/mechanical issue?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 23, 2016, 09:07:14 AM
I get what you are trying to ascertain, but why would it run for a full 12" before stopping if the cause was a binding/mechanical issue?

It may take that long for vibration to make whatever it is shift, or for the linkage to move into a position to jam. I've seen locos that run fine in one direction, but jammed up after traveling a short distance in the opposite direction when the armature shifted. Sometimes it takes a close look with a good light and magnifying glass to see what's happening.

Len

Jerrys HO

QuoteThere is nothing wonderful about any of this.  If it appears as a "quiz", it is because elvira has been reluctant to provide details and the few provided, have been contrary.  This has made it necessary to ask several questions in an attempt to be of some assistance.

I was not dis agreeing with you and you are correct that the details are few.

QuoteElvira has already provided info that answers these questions; since he said the loco runs on the section hooked up to the power supply, obviously the power supply and terminal track are both working.  And yes, he has use of a multi meter, he has already indicated he used one.

I may be reading it wrong but it appears to stop on the powered section.

QuoteSince you said it runs about a foot, then stops, my question is where exactly (on the track then obviously) does the loco stop?
Quote from: elvira43 on October 22, 2016, 10:25:53 AM

jbrock27

Jerry, you have a funky way of going about quoting, it hurts the eyes, LOL  :D

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 23, 2016, 09:22:10 AM
I was not dis agreeing with you and you are correct that the details are few.

Thank you :)

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 23, 2016, 09:22:10 AM
I may be reading it wrong but it appears to stop on the powered section.

You have a point brother.  And God knows what the heck he is attempting to convey based on the manner he has provided his answers to my questions, but if the terminal section of track is not working, then how is power getting anywhere, which includes the section it actually runs on?  We are dealing with another BigJoe11a here, me thinks :D.

Len, again, hear what you are saying.  I just think 12" is a long distance to travel if there is mechanical issue.  My expectation would be it would stop at a much shorter distance than 12".  But, and maybe I should apologize for this, I never had any locos that acted like elvira's where the cause rested with the loco.  If there was a mechanical issue with a loco, they would be immobile from the get go.

Keep Calm and Carry On