Bachmann Large Scale Manual Turnout Switch Machine N. 94648

Started by KD Rail, October 26, 2016, 09:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD Rail

I have about 40 turnouts on my layout and when the new Bachmann Switch Stands came out I purchased about 30 of them.  Last year I installed about 6 switch stands and now that the summer is over in Houston I installed the rest of them last week.  I noticed in the previously installed stands that the gland/membrane that the throw bar passes through have become solid and brittle.  Most have either popped out or have been drawn into the switch stand housing.  When trying to put then back in place they break in two or otherwise fall apart.  It would appear that the glands/membranes are not UV resistant as far as I can tell.  Have a few of questions:
1. Has anyone else noticed this?
2. Are the gland/membranes available for purchase as separate items?
3. Will Bachmann warrant their replacement and hopefully offer a UV resistant replacement?

Having replacement glands will be crucial for long term usage outdoors in order to keep insects, grass clippings, miniature ballast out of the internal workings of the switch machine.

Other than this one failing, I really like this product as it does a great job of holding the point rail up against the stock rail.  Also, for those of you who use Aristo switches like I do, there is a guy in Ottawa, Ontario who makes replacement throw bars to use with these new switch machines and they are really well made and simple to install.  The Aristo throw bars have rather fragile ends which can easily break.  The website for this boutique company is www.glxscalemodels.com and the owner is very helpful.

Hope to hear something favorable, and thanks for reading my first post on this forum!

Keith 'KD Rail' Stratton

Kevin Strong

I noticed that on one of mine as I was re-laying a section of the railroad this summer. I decided I wasn't going to give it too much of a worry at the moment. We'll see how it fares over the winter and into next summer. Worst case, I can stuff some weather stripping in there to keep the nasties out.

Later,

K