Led Interior Lights For J & S Passenger Cars.

Started by New ChooChoo, October 22, 2016, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Its been some time that I have been on here. I am looking for information for the J & S passenger cars. Some years ago I was looking for info on how to take the incandescent lights OUT of the passenger cars and replace them with LED lights. I cant find the instructions any more and have been looking online for maybe a KIT. I would have thought someone or someplace would have made a kit by now but I cant find any. I would like to know what all I need to hook up the LEDS to the 9v battery under the car. What volt should the LEDs be? I know a resister needs to be added. I did this once some years ago (2009?) and it worked out good. Anyone got an idea where to get instructions and maybe a parts list?

Thanks!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi New Choochoo,

JUst use a standard 5MM warm white led(from radio shack, I use a  660 or 1000 OHM resistor for each Led connected to the positive anode. just cut away the incandescent light fixture and replace it by soldering the led in place of it.  I always use a little sandpaper to rough up the led to defuse the light better.  Remember that Led's are polarity sensitive. so test as you go to be sure they will light up.  Use the existing 9 volt battery box just as it was originally.  The batteries will last a very long time with the Led's.  I love using the batteries because the lights stay lit at a constant level even when a train is stopped. If using track power, the Led  lights will not work when the polarity is reversed.  A special circuit is needed in this case,  I cannot find my wiring diagram for the track powered Led's.  Maybe someone else will post it.

Definitely do not use the bright white, or blueish type light as the are far too harsh for the old style cars. One friend likes to paint on a light coat of yellow paint to give the look of a kerosene lamp.  Looked very good to me.   

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

New ChooChoo

Thanks Loco Bill. I had bought some new trucks that were for sale on Ebay. They have the copper strips that rub against the wheels, but after reading posts about how the drag against the wheels would put more of a stress on the engine gears, I decided not to do that. Converting to LED bulbs and running off the battery is ok with me. Its not like I am going to run them 24 hours a day.
   Correct me if I am wrong. One of the leads on the led bulbs is longer than the other. Is that the positive one? I am not an electrician. I did convert one of these trainsets some years ago but I had the paperwork back then and now I don't and I cant remember how it all was done. Do I just need one resister wired in the positive line? Thanks for your response.

Loco Bill Canelos

Welcome, Yes the longer lead is the positive one.  I usually use a separate resistor for each Led.

New ChooChoo

Good afternoon Bill! I have been looking at resistors. Not sure what to get. I am attaching a link to Ebay. Wanting to know if these would be the ones to use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1K-1000-ohm-1-4-watt-0-25W-5-carbon-film-CF-resistors-50pcs-US-SELLER-/251944392611?hash=item3aa90e57a3:g:BDUAAOSwymxVRTBz

I found the warm white LEDS, 5mm. They have a range of 2.5v to 3.v

Thanks for your help.

RkyGriz

New ChooChoo

Those will work with the 6volt battery under the car?

RkyGriz

They've worked fine with the 9 volt battery. I have installed up to 7 LEDS in each of my 3 D&RG JS cars and they work just fine on the 9 volt battery. I also have the same ones installed in my 3 Virginia & Truckee JS cars. Those are track powered lights which required these parts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371752851299?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
plus 2 capacitors and 1 bridge rectifier per car. I split the LED strings on the roof into 2-4 LED strings with 1 capacitor each with the bridge rectifier connected to both strings and then, of course , the power pickups.  Here's a link to a video showing my V&T JS cars with track powered lighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aag-Uw1CNCo
Here's a video of my D&RG JS cars with battery powered LED lighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjL3l2rX3Vw
Please note that the track powered cars are brighter than the battery powered cars are.
I hope this helps.
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

The resistors are fine, but the prewired ones Andrew mentioned are very convenient and recommended.