Battery Operated Self Charging Locomotives

Started by NE_OHIO_RailFan, October 19, 2016, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE_OHIO_RailFan

I was just wondering if Bachman had any intensions of creating locomotives that carry there own power similar to radio controlled cars. They could charge themselves from the power in the tracks but run independently from other engines on the same track. This would be similar to DCC but they would carry their own power. I think would be great for large scale (G) outdoor model railroading but would also could work great for indoor as well. It would eliminate the concern for "dead spots" in your track. Just wondering...

the Bach-man

Dear Fan,
I'll pass that along...
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Piyer

NE_Ohio Railfan,

While there aren't any Ready-To-Run models such as you described, there is a movement for modelers interested in such things called the Dead Rail Society: http://www.deadrailsociety.com

Model Railroad Hobbyist (http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com), among others, has spoken of them, and there is even an off-shoot of Dead Rail that is putting batteries and RC controls into scale cars and trucks. It is a fascinating direction for the hobby to branch out in, not to mention a way of drawing RC modelers into model railroading. Depending on what skillsets you have, or are willing to gain, there is definitely the resources out there if you have a pioneering spirit. If, on the other hand, you are like me, and are an analogue modeler in the digital age, then we'll be waiting a few more years until the concept (hopefully) matures into a plug-n-play, if not ready-to-run, state.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jward

that day is closer than you think. blue rail trains is offering a combo decoder and removeable battery that is designed for use in scales as small as HO. the battery is designed to be charged in a charger that I believe is commonly used in the RC world.

the main hurdle left to overcome is how to charge from the rails, without overcharging and damaging the battery.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Or to keep the battery from catching on fire.  :o :D

Ken G Price

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 22, 2016, 04:18:29 PM
Like in real engines. Just more realism. ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Piyer

Quote from: Ken G Price on October 22, 2016, 07:06:55 PM
Quote from: Trainman203 on October 22, 2016, 04:18:29 PM
Like in real engines. Just more realism. ;D

Not to be overly serious, but.......

One of those things we usually never think about until after it's too late is to buy a fire extinguisher - or several of them - and smoke alarms for the train layout room and your workshop. Between the combustible materials we build our layouts from, the mechanical things we often share space with (furnaces, clothing dryers, electrical panels, etc), and the sometimes limited escape routes from the basement or from within a larger layout, we should all take to heart a slogan that is plastered across virtually every prototype railroad: SAFETY FIRST! 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Jhanecker2

So true, a lot of my equipment  is stored  in  "The Shop"  which has facilities  for metal working , wood working and  other endeavors .   I have to have several different types of extinguishers for different types of fires .  I always try to keep flammable materials  separate in protected areas and have adequate ventilation when  ever spray painting and using solvent based finishes .   I also have to run blowers when I back the tractor in  to  pull out  equipment , sets off the CO2 & smoke detectors every time. John2.