News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mogul Gear box upgrade

Started by Chris9017, October 28, 2016, 04:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris9017

Hello.

I was wondering for when the new generation Mogul parts become available, will the metal bronze gears be interchangeable with the older moguls?  This is for if we wanted to upgrade the gears on the older generation moguls.   I have a good number of older generation Moguls, and even-though the North Western Short line drive gear is a good and long lasting remedy for the main drive gear failures on older moguls, the smaller idler gears have been known to fail, but fortunately have not yet failed on any of mine. 
Still, I'd like to permanently fix the gear failure problems on my older generation moguls by upgrading the gears from plastic to all metal before they fail, so I was wondering if the new gears are interchangeable with the older Moguls.

Thank you. :)

Loco Bill Canelos

Chris,

I can't answer your questions, but I did want to say failure of the smaller gears has been generally quite rare.  If you have replaced the main gear in your mogul's and relubed them, you should get very good service out of the new gear.  I have not heard of any reports of failure of the NWSL gear so far.  Have you experienced a failure of the NWSL gear??

Maybe the Bachmann or Yaredmaster can answer your specific questions, but in the short term if you have a bad gear, I would not hesitate to recommend the NWSL replacement gear.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!