News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 on Reverse Loop

Started by majordadsage, November 26, 2016, 12:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

majordadsage

I am fairly new to N Scale and I am struggling with my first layout.  I have a 42"x 132" area with which to work.  I am considering a "dog bone" on one area of the layout but, I have read that some steam engines have issues with reverse loops.  It has something to do with the pickups being on the locomotive and the tender.   I own a Bachmann 4-6-0.  Has anyone had any particular issues running Bachmann Steam on reverse loops?  Thanks

brokemoto

Are you on DC or DCC?  I do not use DCC, so I can not make too many comments about it.

I have run the locomotive that you mention on more than one reverse loop.  Never have I had any problem.  Do make sure that your isolated "turning section" is long enough at least to accommodate both locomotive and tender.  That would be the only point at which I could see a problem. 

You must wait until the locomotive and tender are both fully in the "turning section" before reversing any polarity anywhere.

majordadsage

The pickups on the locomotive and pickups on the tender are my concern.  I have to make sure they are both clearly in the transition before switching polarity.  I may not do the reverse loop, it just looks interesting. 

Flare

The pickups won't be damaged in any way, they're oblivious to the changes.

If your conttroller and locomotives are DCC like mine, you can wire your isolated track section to an auto reverser that will take care of the polarity for you.

My layout has a single main line with a reverse loop at each end, the auto reversers kick in when they detect the initial short and reverse the loop's polarity so the train continues unhindered.

plas man

my layout is DCC and the my loco will cope on the reverse loop with auto reverser installed , also of note the reverser is coping with 2 loop's .

gatrhumpy

Isolate section of the reverse loop and you won't have a problem with the pickups.