News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC Crossovers...

Started by stopthinktwice, October 31, 2016, 12:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopthinktwice

I have double mainline loop, with 4 Bachmann DCC crossovers.  Each of the mainlines is divided into detection blocks.  I am using a Digitrax system, with BDL168's to accomplish the block detection tied to remote RD2's (to eliminate long runs of heavy wiring) - each mainline is divided into its own independent detection zones.

If I place a Bachmmann DCC crossover within a detection zone for each of the 2 mainlines, the zones show occupied for both mainlines - I am assuming the 2 solenoids/switch motors and/or decoder are causing a slight voltage drain.  One might think to gap/cut/insulate each of the tracks entering the crossover, but if I did this, the crossover decoder, switch motors/solenoids would have no power to operate (as they pickup power from the rails), and I would have to create a gap in my detection zone for each mainline by wiring the crossover to the track power buses without the use of a detector/RD2 (or I would get false detection again).

To solve this, I separated the decoder/switch/solenoid power pick up points from the crossover rails and powered them independently on a separate accessory power bus (not tied to either of the 2 main line buses).  This eliminated the voltage drain/false detection issue, and it kept any loco/rolling stock shorts that occur in the crossover confined to the applicable track power bus without any impact on my accessory power bus.  But I now had the issue that when a loco was in the crossover, it would show detection on both main lines.  To solve this, I had to cut the metal contact tabs that connected Rail A on one main line of the crossover to Rail A of the other main line of the crossover (2 metal contact tabs had to be cut).

Just wondering if Bachmann DCC crossovers are know to cause the voltage drain/false detection issues, and also, whether there is any other way to isolate track detection between the two rail lines running through a DCC crossover.  Before I modify my other crossovers, I would like to get Bachmann's feedback, thanks.

jbrock27

Have to ask; if you had the opportunity to do it all over again, would these be your 1st choice?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

STT, would love to see a video of it in action and the setup.

stopthinktwice

Only reason I went with these is my space limitation - I needed a crossover with built in decoder and switch that I could control remotely (no wires to switch/motor).  So I guess I would stay with them unless a better product is available.  I will try to post a video once the project is done.   

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On