Old HO tracks and cars working with new

Started by wbashinski, November 01, 2016, 06:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbashinski

I am new to this forum and the world of trains.  My husband has 5 HO cars and many pieces of track that his father built in the 1950's.   I would love to surprise him for Christmas and get some new track and additional cars so he could build his own layout.  Will the older pieces work with new pieces? 

Len

If they are from the 50's they most likely have either Mantua hook & loop couplers, or horn-hook couplers, while modern equipment generally has knuckle couplers. So the couplers on the older equipment would probably need to be updated.

Other than that, they should work okay on new track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

If you want more track, you will want to go with Atlas "Snap Track".  It comes in 9 inch straight peices and a variety of curve sizes.  The Bachmann "EZ Track" is raised up with a representation of ballast, and won't directly work with the 1950's era track which just has rail and ties.  Also, make sure any track you buy uses nickle silver rail.

jbrock27

...or how 'bout some sections of nickel silver Flex Track?  These come in 3 foot sections and can be shaped to almost any way one's little heart desires.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

IMHO I think you would be better off buying a modern train set with DCC such as one of the digital commander sets and relegating the 50s stuff to a static display shelf.  But that's just me.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On