News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Spectrum conversion

Started by Midwest Central, November 01, 2016, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwest Central

I have a DC Spectrum 2-6-6-2 steam engine.  Bachmann tells me I can convert it to DCC, because it has a board in the tender, which it has.  Before I start, has anyone else done this and hints.  I also want sound.

Trainman203

Anything can be done to any engine.  The limitations are in the form of price and your abilities. And space available in the tender too ...... This one has a nice big one.

Spectrums are not difficult conversions ( compared to old cast zinc steam engines).  I've had techs do several spectrum engines over to sound and DCC.

Hunt

If your 2-6-6-2 is HO -- use one of the following or a sound decoder of your choice, which will fit.

Tsunami2 | Part No.   Econami | Part No.   Speaker/Baffle Kit #
TSU-2200 | 884002   ECO-200 | 881002      810153

Click Here for SoundTraxx Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Digital Sound Decoder Installation Notes. This is only provided for an idea of what is involved. The decoder and speaker used in it are discontinued and you will not use the information in section 17. CV Programming. Use the instructions that come with the decoder and the information on SoundTraxx website for it.

Click Here for  Tsunami2 and Econami Comparison Chart to help you decide if you want to spend the money for top of the line Tsunami2 or prefer an  Econami.

Or you can use this Click Here   Have no idea what if any documentation Bachmann supplies. Contact Bachmann Parts for information about it before you buy.

Hunt

BTW - the tender may already have a cavity for speaker.

Midwest Central

Thanks for your help, my hobby dealer suggested the same parts.  Now I have to work up a little courage. :)

jonathan

You can do it!  It seems daunting at first.  We all have a first time:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

That thread shows the first time I put sound in a locomotive.  It's a 2-8-4 Kanawha, but the principle is the same.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Jonathan