News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track crossover

Started by RedlegJim, November 08, 2016, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedlegJim

I'm using EZ track on my layout and have two crossovers, a right and a left, connecting the two parallel tracks. The left crossover functions fine. The right one is giving me a problem. If I turn the switch so the engine picks up the right turn and crosses over to the inside track - it works perfectly. However, if I just set the switch to keep the engine on the main outside track, it stops about the middle of the frog. I don't think the problem is mechanical but it could be electric. Any ideas? How can I fix this problem or do I need a new crossover? Thanks

Bucksco

flip the track over and check to see if both frogs are powered (wires should be connected to the frog under the crossover)

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Yardmaster on November 08, 2016, 03:21:33 PM
flip the track over and check to see if both frogs are powered (wires should be connected to the frog under the crossover)

Yardmaster I have a question for you.....
why does it state on the back of the package on all the numbered turnouts including the crossovers this message.........

[quotePowering the Frog
Recommended for analog operation ONLY. NOT recommended for DCC operation
as a short circuit may occur when operating in DCC that could damage your locomotive.
In railroading terms, the circled area (C) indicated in the drawing above is called a
"frog." The frog on this turnout may be plastic (tie colored) or metal (rail colored). If it is
metal, you may choose to power it to help locomotives with short wheelbases travel more
smoothly through the turnout (locomotives with medium to long wheelbases can travel through
an unpowered frog without hesitation). To power a metal frog, make the one-wire power connection
as shown in photo below. Please note that this power connection is not possible with
plastic frogs, and that it only facilitates smoother operation of locomotives with shorter wheelbases.
The turnout itself will operate correctly whether or not the frog is powered. If you
notice a short circuit on your railroad after the frog is powered, disconnect the
three-wire green cable from the direction switch, flip the plug 180 degrees, and
reconnect to the direction switch.][/quote]