GP525 Burlington GP9 Power A Cab # 2329

Started by montejd, November 10, 2016, 03:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montejd

Hello.  I'm new to your board, and I have a question? 

We purchased a vintage Williams engine identified on the box as "GP525 Burlington GP9 Power A W/Horn CAB # 2329".  This engine was purchased for use in a children's museum where I do volunteer work.  It's essential that we lock the engine in forward.

I have modified a few Rev. 4 circuit boards to lock the engine in forward, but, even though one of the boards in this engine looks very much like a Rev. 4 board, the same mod doesn't do anything.   The board is identified as a 247 Category 1 reversing board, Patent # 5,321,344, and 335-X001R2.  This appears to be an engine from the early 1990's when locking into a direction may not have even been discussed.

Would anyone know if this engine can in fact be modified to lock it into forward?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

JerryB

Don't know the answer to your question, but I suggest you post this in the "Williams by Bachmann" forum:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/board,8.0.html

Lots more probability of a helpful answer there.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Len

For display layouts, I find the simplest solution with old Williams locos is to remove the circuit board and replace it with a heavy duty full wave bridge rectifier. Something similar to: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/135-GBPC3504?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&scid=scplp6861893&sc_intid=135-GBPC3504&gclid=CMfYzN-Mn9ACFYlMDQodJLIDCQ

The pick-up and return connections are connected to the AC inputs, the DC +/- connections go to the motors. Using 'quick connects' on the wires that hood to the rectifier allows easy removal of the motors for periodic servicing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.