News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

clean spray can nozzles

Started by SteamGene, December 14, 2008, 06:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

After using a spray can I invert it and let the nozzle clean itself.  But sometimes ..it happens.   Does anybody have a technique for cleaning clogged spray can nozzles? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

I soak mine in paint thinner overnight then spray them out with compressed air.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Loco Bill Canelos

Every time I empty out one of those spray cans I remove the nozzle and toss it in a small can,  I have aboput 20.  Now when one goes bad I just reach into the can and get one that matches the bad one and I am back in business right away. I usually throw away the bad ones rather than try to clean them.

Usually when one went bad it was because I was too lazy to make sure the paint was well shaken in the can.  This forced the thick pigment at the bottom of the can to clog the tube and nozzle. 

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jim Banner

If I may add to Kevin's reply,
- soak in paint thinner (A.K.A. Stoddard's Solvent, Minerals Spirits) for enamels
- soak in Windex or -40 degree windshield washer antifreeze for latex or acrylic
- soak in lacquer thinner for lacquers or other fast dry paints (lacquer thinner will work for most paints and varnishes but will eat some nozzles.)

If you do not have compressed air available, blow out with a well shaken can of paint.

Poking at a nozzle with a pin or needle will usually destroy it but cleaning it out with the correct size of drill in a pin vice often works, particularly after soaking in solvent for a day or two.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Loco Bill Canelos

Jim, 

The info on the latex paint was really great, I had never heard of using windex or washer fluid before.  I will file it in my fixit file for sure!!

I still going to save my old spray nozzles, since I am too lazy to clean the bad ones but I will use your method to soak latex painted parts for sure.

Thanks!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jim Banner

Bill, the Windex or washer fluid also work for cleaning airbrushes after using them with latex.

If the latex is fully cured in a nozzle, you may have to use lacquer thinner.  If it dissolves, well, it was junk anyway.

I too save old nozzles for exactly the same reason you do.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.