Possible Future directions for Williams by Bachmann

Started by Hamish K, October 24, 2007, 07:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Given that Bachmann is now considering issues relating to Williams now seems a good time to express views as to where Bachmann should take Williams.

As I see it Bachmann will want to preserve Williams base of moderately priced 3 rail products, much of it "tradional" in style, i.e often a bit under scale and designed for tight curves. However there is I think scope for a small range of scale proportioned, more detailed, locomotives. I am unclear as to whether any of the existing Williams products fit this description. I note that the other major American O brands have both "tradional" and scale proportioned models so there is a market there. Scale proportioned models could also work for ON30 modellers who wish to add standard gauge.

I would like scale proportioned locos to include some steam, the Richmond 4-4-0 from HO strikes me as a good choice for a stating point. It seems, as far as I know, a bit different from other locos currently available for O and would also be a good loco for a mixed O/On30 layout as it is not too big for a line joining with a backwoods narrow gauge set up.

Ideally the scale proportioned locos would be available in 2 as well as 3 rail, 2 rail would broaden the market, and I suspect most ON30ers would prefer 2 rail as ON30 is two rail.

As I indicated however, I would see "tradional" 3 rail still being the major part of the product line.

Bachmann may want to introduce DCC or someother form of more advanced control, this would seem to fit with general market trends. However, if so, please also make versions without expensive additions - at least part of Williams current appeal is that they offer relatively well priced products without fanccy control systems.

I would like to see more O scale buildings etc. Relatively inexpensive but a bit more detailed than current Plasticville. These could appeal to both Williams and ON30 buyers. Possibilities include industrial (sawmill, mine, factory,(brewery decorated for the ON30 reefer roads?)  a new small depot and etc. 

On track, I see little need for Bachmann to introduce 2 rail track as this is available from other manufactures and I am assuming that 2 rail, if introduced, would be a smallish part of the total range. 3 rail track will no doubt continue. I would love to see dual gauge 2 raIL O and ON30 track  but I doubt very much that it will be made - such track looks quite different from dual standard gauge/3 foot prototype track such as in the USA although it does look like dual gauge standard/30 inch gauge track that existed in quite a number of countries, but not I think the USA.

Just my thoughts

Hamish

the Bach-man

Thanks, Hamish!
I'll pass this post along as well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ned

Well thought out post from Hamish.

If it comes to a vote please put me down as a strong "Yea" for a Richmond 4-4-0!

Ned

jsmvmd

Dear Hamish,

For several years I was most interested in O scale.  There are several manufacturers in the USA, some "dual" scale/gauge with a simple parts change, and roughly in the $400-1300+ range.  The detailing is exquisite in many cases.  I am sure you know who they are, and a simple web search will reveal them.

Not having been convinced that Bachmann would enter the "O" mkt, I chose to devote my interests to G, F and HO.  Now I am immersed into HO and sort of "stuck" with a lot of used equipment and space limitations.

One of two local clubs runs O scale and tried to hand lay combination O scale/gauge trackage.  They had many problems wiring turnouts and abandoned the idea. Perhaps an EE could have solve their problems, but we have many former Penn Central and Conrail, and a few Pennsy guys in the club who understand lots about wiring, etc.  Our clubs layout is approximately 25 feet x 80 feet, with HO (double loop) in the center and O scale on the periphery.  The O scale stuff is very noisy and ultimately gets on our nerves.  (This is the reason I do not like sound decoders in HO engines).

Too, there is DCS and TMCC which seem to work adequately.  Both manufactuers' camps are entrenched in their technologies and offer biased opinions if one speaks to them.  I like the good old Lionel controllers, with bells and whistles for my stuff.

So, the point of this, for my children and me, we would stick with Williams locomotives with their bullet proof mechanisms and adequate detailling,as is, and run the h*** out of them on a small layout at home, and buy a few finely detailed O scale pieces for running on the club layout.

I always enjoy your posts and am looking fwd to more of them.

Best Wishes,

Jack Majcher, Altoona. Pennsylvania, a PRR town, through and through!

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I,  personally,  would love to see Bachmann take some of their HO line and re-issue it in O scale.   Think about the 4-6-0,  the shay,  the 2-8-0,  and the K4 in O scale.  And least we forget,  freight and passenger cars also.
       Along with these items,  do not forget supporting items such as water plugs,  tanks,  sand houses etc.
        I would think this is a great time for the Bachmann corporation to expand into O scale as well as the three rail world.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Royce Wilson

How bout some civil war era?
                                                      Royce 8)

Royce Wilson

Or a turn of century Erie camelback 4-4-0...WOW!!!!!!! :D ;D ;)
                                                               Royce

PARAWULF

Quote from: Hamish K on October 24, 2007, 07:40:11 PM
at least part of Williams current appeal is that they offer relatively well priced products without fanccy control systems.

I think I got the quote deal right this time, new around here. :)

I would say that a HUGE appeal of Williams to a lot of 3 railers like me was because of the lack of fancy electronics.
I would also presume to say that if Bachman added a "new" operating system to Williams trains it would probably be a huge mistake, afterall, there are two broad operating systems on the 3 rail O market already.

Anyway, Williams has an industry wide known and licensed, take a look at some of Weaver's conventional engines, 6 amp reverse board and the tru blast 2 digital horn and bell.

More scale steam, and more scale deisels would be great. I just don't think Williams should lose the brand identity established already. I would suggest to keep the traditional and golden memories lines, and add a 2 rail line to what is already there.