News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with Old Big Hauler Set Please

Started by milego, November 22, 2016, 08:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milego

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I admittedly don't know that much about model trains, but I found an old set that was my grandfather's.  I remember him having it when I was a little kid in the early 80's.  I was wondering if there was anyway to identify exactly what it is.  Also I want to get it work, the trains moves great however the track seems to have bad connection or something because it stops in several places along the track, so my question is will the track and controller that I can buy from bachmann work for an older train like mine? 

Flare

The first thing I'd try is to clean the rails and the wheels on the locomotive. (The tender too if it has electrical pickup)

Buildup/corrosion on electrical conductors is usually why trains run poorly.

Another thing I'd advise for a set that's been sitting so long is some fresh oil for the gears and bearings.

As for which set it is, can you upload a picture of the train?

armorsmith

Milego,

Based on your description, this is most likely a Generation 2 or possibly a Generation 3 set. I am going to go out on a limb and also assume the track is stamped steel (silver looking and kinda squareish). Yes corrosion on the track and wheels could give the problems you describe.

It would be advisable to clean the track with a piece of fine steel wool (not a soaped Brillo pad) available at your home center.  Followed by a wipe down with a clean cloth and solvent.  Follow that with a very light wipe with something like WD40.

I second that you should clean the locomotive and tender wheels with a Qtip and solvent. Be gentle with the drive mechanism, it is not the most robust drive Bachmann has made. Turn the loco up side down, propped between a couple of OLD towels. Carefully remove the screws holding the bottom cover in place and remove the cover.Be careful to not dislodge any of the drive components or electrical contacts that are below that cover. Check the grease that should be there. If it is still pliable, move some on the face of the gear teeth and replace the cover.

I also recommend that you dig around in this site by George Schreyer http://www.girr.org/girr/ there is a wealth of information there, and probably for your loco.

Good luck and welcome to Large Scale.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi milego,

Bachmann did not start making the Big Hauler sets until 1989.  I am sure I can help with the identification, but I would need to know the number on the side of the locomotive, what the lettering says on the side.  Also type of freight or passenger car in the set and the number and letter on the side of it.

A picture would be best, but most likely I can figure it out with the above info.

Since the track is old, be sure to clean the ends where they connect with a fine wire brush.  That track tends to rust and have poor connectivity.   The new large scale track and the new style controller will work just fine.

Sometime you can find the track and controller on Ebay for a very low price.

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-G-scale-Track-Oval-w-Upgrade-Power-Supply-NEW-/162287294055?hash=item25c9139667:g:sNcAAOSwcUBYKmCV

Have fun with the set!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

milego

Thank you guys for the replies, as I said, other than a fascination my knowledge of model trains is limit at best.  My father recently passed away and while going through his storage I came across it. I remembered playing with it as a kid so being that is was 12 in 1989 so that fits. The loco itself and all the cars are pristine, I think the only actually broken piece is a small wheel handle on the tanker car and one cross tie in a section of track. I would really love to get this thing running, it makes me feel a little better after the recent passing of my father.

I have included some pictures, the box isn't in the greatest condition but not bad for minimum of 16 years in storage as my grandfather passed in 2000.

Loco Bill Canelos

Great picture.  

That was a real nice set from 1989 and was one of the first sets made with the track powered locomotive.

Here is more info:

90015*   RGS   Rocky Mountain Express   1989   1992   Freight   25   VER2    BOX F&CC 588   Tank Gramps UTLX# 11050   Bob Cab RGS#401
90015   Notes:   Catalog set fron 1989 to 1992      

Unfortunately the gearbox was not the best.  yours had the version 2 chassis, but later chassis in Big Hauler made after 2000 have the latest very trouble free version 5 chassis.  Amazingly you can still get warranty repairs if the locomotive does breakdown or even buy a new chassis complete for about $40 on sale if needed.  It would be good to lubricate the gears after all this time as recommended by Bob and flare.  If you add new grease or oil be sure to use plastic compatible lubes.

If you haven't had luck cleaning the track especially the joints, give some thought to getting the new track and taking care of it.   The set came with track clips to hold the pieces of track tightly together, be sure to use them.  

No reason not to get that set running!  Have fun.

Bill            
edit thanks to flare pointing out an error I made!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!