News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big hualer version #

Started by g-guage_trains, November 27, 2007, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g-guage_trains

Hello All, I tried to search for the Big hauler version in the archives.
I have one that is repainted to black. The number in the front is 14. Can someone tell me the version I have?
Thanks, Alan

Cascade Northern

Do you have metal or plastic running gear?  Do you have metal or plastic drivers?  That will narrow it down somewhat.

Jon D. Miller

I checked Bachmann catalogues back to 1994.

There are three locomotives that carry number 14 that I could find.

They are all locomotives sold in sets.  I could find no number 14 locomotives cataloged prior to 2000.  There is a number 14 White Pass & Yukon set listed for the first time this year.  It is a set but contains the Annie version locomotive.

Most likely the engine you have is either a Rocky Mountain Express or a ET&WNC Mountaineer engine. The Rocky Mountain engine would be a wood burner.  The ET&WNC would be a coal burner.

The two locomotives listed above would have plastic connecting,  and side rods. The valve gear would be plastic.  These are the Big Haulers that have less detail than the Annies. 

Since Version 5 drive came out in 1999-2000, prior to the Annies introduction, there is a high probability that you have a Version 5.

Now, there may well be folks that are the Bachmann "experts" that will have more detailed information.  If so, I have no doubt they will jump right in and set things straight if I have posted incorrect information.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

g-guage_trains

Thanks of all question. It have plastic side rods, brass hand rails, brass bell with 2 part metal base, metal compressor and metal lever with rachet inside the cab.
Alan

Loco Bill Canelos

Alan,

To find the version you have to check the bottom plate of your locomotive.  It should be one of the following

Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn wheels by hand and motor will turn                              
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                              
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                              
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                              
Note that the dates overlap and as of Nov 1, 2007 have not been fixed more precisely, but I believe all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                              
The following sets were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.

Hope this helps.                              
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Here is a picture of the Version 5 bottom cover with the lube plug and hump that Bill describes.

Photo quality not the best, but folks should be able to see the features.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

g-guage_trains

Thanks Loco Bill. I have version 4, big bump at back driver and wheel don't turn.
Alan

Loco Bill Canelos

Hey JD, Great picture of version 5 Chassis!!  Thanks!!

Alan,   Glad you identified it!!

To all those in the EBay market for the Bachmann 4-6-0, it is best to ask the seller to describe the bottom plate, and be sure it has the plastic lube hole cover as shown in Jon' s photo.  If sellers won't describe it I wouldn't bid on it.  If you are selling and have a version 5 Chassis I would be sure to tell potential bidders that the loco you are selling has the latest smooth running version 5 Chassis. 

I did forget to mention that all Anniversary 4-6-0's have the version 5 Chassis. 

Also all NEW sets made after 2000 have the version 5 chassis!!

Cheers to all!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!