Large scale modeler starting anew

Started by bob kaplan, December 03, 2016, 12:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

We are hoping to move to a new house (once we find it).  Our present basement holds a large scale layout more than 25 years in the making...nothing great, but it is mine.  Lots of Bachamnn engines ( I kind of collect them), Accucraft and Bachmann rolling stock....and stuff you can't get any more because the interest in large scale has so declined that they don't make it anymore.

When looking for a house we somewhat are hoping to down-size.  But I don't want to give up modeling.   Sooooooo  a basement is necessary if I hope to continue in large scale....But starting out in an other scale (selling off what I can) taking up less space (such as ON30 or HO) probably would be no more expensive than purchasing large scale track and switches needed on a new layout.  (Lots of glue, ballast and nails holding the present layout and track intact and the track and even some structures would not be removable).

Being slightly over 21 (by nearly 50 years) I don't have the eye sight, patience or motor control that I once had.  So I was thinking of starting out in 0N30.  But what little I have read....it seems to be ebbing away as well.   Thus....perhaps HO is the answer.

Hard to believe, but the practicality of starting a new layout, will influence the purchase of the new house.

Please share your thoughts...What would you do?

bob kaplan

Hummmmmm....I guess I did not make my point very well.    Hopeful input would be from those who model in HO and ON30 since I would be moving to those scales.....rather than keeping in the same scale  LARGE

Flare

I'm an On30 guy, mainly because the somewhat big models run on the tighter curves of HO track which saves room.

I'm pretty sure Bachmann is the leader in Ready-to-Run models in this scale, however many of their locomotive models from a few years ago suffer from poorly made gears which require replacement.  (Not an exercise I would advise from what you described)

Also, this scale isn't very diesel friendly if that's your thing; Most of what I've seen are 4-wheel critters.

jbrock27

Quote from: bob kaplan on December 03, 2016, 01:38:23 PM
I guess I did not make my point very well.

Nope, you did Bob.  My fault for multi-tasking and not paying close enough attention, LOL  :-[.   But in case you did not realize, there is also an On30 section here as well, LOL ...:D

I model HO myself.  Enjoy it very much.  I don't restrict myself to buying from one brand/maker.  Prefer traditional section or flex track and then adding roadbed (cork) as opposed to buying sectional track incorporated with plastic roadbed (except for what I have bought for around the XMAS tree, which will be coming out soon.)
Keep Calm and Carry On

bob kaplan

Thought I would bump this up again; in hopes of getting a couple more responses.      A big thing is:  I notices that the Bachmann's On30 2-8-0 is no longer in production.   Don't see it in stock in most places.  I can't image my railroad with out a consolidation.   Is there hopes that It might come back to the market place??
Thanks.

Flare

Thankfully, Bachmann isn't the only company that made On30 2-8-0s.

I found some by Googling "On30 2-8-0 -bachmann" and a few are on Ebay.

I'd think twice before ordering from Valley Model Trains though because their page hasn't been updated in over 10 years.

K487

bob:

When I first read your post above a particular word jumped into my mind - "conundrum".  Definition:  "A question or problem having only a conjectural answer."  Well, I think we can do better than that!

I've been into model railroading for about 56 years, and HO for 45 of those years (I'll be 69 years old in a couple of weeks.)  Whenever I need to futz with an engine, railcar or track, I have to use glasses.  Does that irritate me? A little bit, but basically, no.  Also, my eyes are such that I can see clearly far distances fairly easy.

The reason I'm sharing this is that these are physical factors that need considering.  For me I plan to continue as long as I can because I enjoy the hobby. 

Could I now or later "get into" a larger scale or even a smaller scale?  Sure.  Am I concerned about that now?  No-----if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now, saying all that, have I done things with the model railroad to make my life easier?  Yes. For instance, when I built the layout did I make its structure such that it could be easily disassembled and moved to another house?  Yes, I've moved it twice, and am thinking of doing it again. 

Have I thought of changing scales during all these years?  Yes, but it's not been much of an issue.  I like HO and am content with it.

And the one thing that's neat about this hobby is:  Can I ignore it for as long as I want and won't be penalized for doing so?  Yes!*

* I am ignoring any, um, irritated input from a spouse.  :)

Hope this is helpful.

K487 

Piyer

Bob, I'm in your age group (turning 45 in January), and I have diabetic issues that are impacting my hands and eyesight. When I moved this past March I started building an N-scale layout since that's really all that will fit in my apartment. Despite that, I also have a sizable stash of HO equipment, as well as a 1:29 scale Doodlebug, some Lionel trains, and even a Z-scale boxcar.

While I am not yet ready to give up on small(er) scale modeling, I have been giving some thought to what I'll do if my health gets significantly worse. Several items in Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine and on their forums has piqued my interest in 2-rail O-scale enough that I have "diverted funds" into purchasing a locomotive (Red Caboose GP9 kit) and a dozen or so freight cars. Nothing fancy or pricey, just some used knock-abouts that I can easily repair / upgrade as the mode moves me. I'm not ready to give up N-scale, but I now have something in the wings that I can turn to if or when I need to.

Perhaps 2-rail O-scale is an option for you. There is enough ready to run stuff out there if you just want something off the shelf, or if you like the crafting side of the hobby, you can build equipment and hand-lay track without needing to strap a pair of microscopes to your eyes.  ;)

As you mentioned On30, maybe a layout that features a standard to narrow gauge interchange and dual-guage track would appeal to you.

All the best on your basement hunt house hunt!
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.