News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 44 Tonner locomotive

Started by cp4617, November 13, 2016, 01:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cp4617

I just purchased my 2nd 44 tonner, and I noticed some differences between them with regard to the trucks. One loco has 5 gears visible on the bottom of the trucks, and is quiet during operation. The other loco has 3 gears visible on the bottom of the truck, and is pretty noisy during operation. Can u explain the differences between the 2 locos? Also, which is the later version. Is one better than the other, and can I up grade to the latest model. Great looking loco, and it fits my switching layout nicely.

jonathan

I don't own the early version, but I know it had two motors, and there seemed to be gear problems with that one.

My newer version 44 tonner is a good runner, as you say.  It has gotten a little noisier over the years, but still runs very well.  I suspect there may be a small gear with a small crack, but as long as it keeps running, I won't go breaking it down to search for the culprit.

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe323

Has Bachmann improved the 44 toner the last one I had suffered with cracked gears?

DAVE2744

My 2 brand new 44s have 5 gears.  Very quiet.  Extreme slow speed capable, less than 1 MPH !!  They top out at about 30 MPH, just slightly higher than prototype.  They have DCC motor boards factory installed. Don't stall on my
Peco insulfrog either.  Hurrah!