Bachmann DCC Sound Boards - No Instructions

Started by kovaks, December 07, 2016, 10:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Speaker polarity

Maintaining polarity between decoder and speaker is not necessary when using only one speaker. When installing two speakers you must observe polarity and wire in parallel.

ECap

220uf 25v capacitor is fine but observe polarity is a must.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

richiy

Last I knew, it was in series. Seen the discussion in many other forums.
The capacitor is for sound stay alive.

richiy

Hunt

Quote from: richiy on December 15, 2016, 10:55:17 AM
Last I knew, it was in series. Seen the discussion in many other forums.
. . .
richiy
Richiy,
SoundTraxx sound decoder amplifier is rated 8 ohms
  Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel results in 4 ohm load on an 8 ohm amplifier.
  Two 8 ohm speakers wired in series results in 16 ohm load on an 8 ohm amplifier.

The series load of 16 ohms will reduce power but the high frequencies will also be reduced.

SoundTraxx recommends when using two speakers with their sound decoders the speakers be wired in parallel .

an aside. . .

So Rich you are posting using richiy with this return to the Bachmann Board. Just how many screen names and register usernames over the years have you used?

kovaks, Rich - richiy this time, who comes and goes is an old forum groupie claiming to visit dozens of forums, using different name of course. His usual answer to a question is use Google and save what you find in Favorites.  :D

WoundedBear

Ruh-roh.............someone's cover is blown.....lololol.

Sid

kovaks

Hey Hunt,  I'm kind'a new to DCC Sound decoders, and I really value your input.  But Rich/richiy has a point.  And now I'm really confused. 

In reviewing my copy of SoundTraxx Tsunami installation instructions, if using two 8-ohm speakers, SoundTraxx recommends wiring speakers in series + to -.  SoundTraxx Tsunami Installation Guide said: "When wired in series, the ohms of the speakers are essentially doubled, making 16 ohms. Note that larger numbers equal a lesser load, therefore 16 ohms is a lesser load than 8 ohms". 

My SoundTraxx Econami Installation Guide also reads similarly, but referring to ohms as impedance.

Len

Technically, it would be 8 ohms impedance for a speaker, since it's an inductive load, not a linear resistance like a resistor.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

kovaks,

Yes, I know what is in SoundTraxx Tsunami installation instructions. It takes into account the technical advances in speaker size required (and the speakers SoundTraxx sells) for model railroading and the SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder's amplifier capability.

Click Here for another SoundTraxx document. It should help to confuse you more as may the following.

Some folks prefer to go cheap or do not know what they have making parallel wiring the better choice.
What it boils down to is decoder's load handling ability and the quality and technology of the speakers being used. If the speaker will work with the lower power without loss of frequency for it to sound right, then wiring two speakers in series is better than parallel.
The objective is to match the speaker impedance to the decoder amplifier's desired load producing the best sound.

Speaker impedance is its resistance to the current and voltage being applied to the speaker.  Ohm is the SI derived unit of electrical resistance.  I will let you do the research   ;D

kovaks

Your right Hunt,  Now I'm really confused.  I'll try to stick to just one speaker if I can.  Although previously following the Soundtraxx Tsunami/Econami installation instructions, I wired two smaller 8-ohm speakers in series (because of space limitations) and had good sound reproduction.

Hunt

Had you tested wiring parallel vs series you may or may not been able to notice any difference.  If the components are compatible in either case it comes down to how well do you hear. Nevertheless, if it sounds good to you that is all that matters.

kovaks

Funny you should mention hearing Hunt,  After I got my hearing aids, I had to go back and re-balance all my Sound decoders.

richiy

I have belonged to the Yahoo SoundTraxx DCC group for some years and have seen discussions of speakers in series and parallel. A few have had a decoder run too hot when the speakers were in parallel. I think it had something to do with whatever SoundTraxx decoder that was being used.

The below fellow ran an online DCC company and has worked closely with SoundTraxx for some years. Scroll down a ways.
Take a lot of time and read through all the links. Try not to assume with DCC. Bruce is retired now and does a lot with DCC in the MRH forums.

http://mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.html

Edit, Bruce changed this link a little I believe.

http://mrdccu.com/curriculum/speakers.html

Store all links. You will need them.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: kovaks on December 15, 2016, 04:55:12 PM
Funny you should mention hearing Hunt,  After I got my hearing aids, I had to go back and re-balance all my Sound decoders.

The problem for several people who had concluded their sound decoder had become defective was solved by replacing their hearing aid battery.