News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FM16-44

Started by Aljim54, December 08, 2016, 12:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aljim54

I purchased an FM 16-44 it is dc.I put it on my tracks,turn the throttle,and nothing happens.No lights,nothing.To it to a hobby shop and same thing.The wheels move freely.It does have a slight mildew order.Any ideas.I am trying to contact the seller.

Len

If the wheels move freely, without power, you either have a dummy unit, the drive shafts are disconnected, or someone gutted a powered unit. All of the FM16-44's I own are worm drive, which means the wheels shouldn't move at all unless the motor has power and is spinning them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

This an Ebay purchase AJ?  And what make loco is this?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

If this is the Bachmann Baby Trainmaster:

The shell is fairly easy to remove.  It's been a number of years, but if I recall correctly, there are two screws underneath that need to be removed.  They should be in fairly deep-set holes.  I don't recall if the couplers need to come off, too.  However, that is also easy to do.

As Len stated, the wheels should not turn... even with the motor shafts disconnected from the trucks.  So serious parts are missing or broken. There is a worm gear atop both truck towers. If seated properly, they would prevent you from turning the wheels

Second, with the shell of, you should see a PCB (circuit board) sitting on top of the frame.  This is where the current is picked up from the frame halves and delivered to the motor and the lights. Is that missing or broken?

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Aljim54

I turn the worm gear by hand and the wheels will turn.It is an ebay purchase.I will have to check it out

jbrock27

Quote from: Aljim54 on December 08, 2016, 06:48:16 PM
It is an ebay purchase.

What did the Seller advertise this as, ie: condition, working order, etc?  What have you said to the Seller after receiving it?

Answer on the make?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Aljim54

It was sold as new in box.I never test ran it until tuesday.I put it on the track turn the throttle and in a few second the overload lights up.I sent a message to the seller and he/she is out of the office until 5/17

Len

If this is the Bachmann FM, check that one of the trucks didn't get reversed. I've seen that before with those 'screw through the top' mounted trucks, and it will create a short that gives an overload condition.

Len

jonathan

Another thing to check:

The trucks on these locos have a "D" shaped ring on either side.  These rings contact the bottom of the frames to transfer current.  These rings are notorious for being out of position when new.  You could have one, or more, of the rings bent into the wrong position, causing a short.  Hence, you get the overload indication on the power pack.

I have two of these locos.  One did have an over-bent ring right out of the box.  Once bent into the correct position, the locomotive ran fine. 

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: Aljim54 on December 08, 2016, 11:44:33 PM
I sent a message to the seller and he/she is out of the office until 5/17

I don't believe that from the Seller for one second.  What kind of Feedback rating did/does this Seller have?  And, did you check before buying?

My advice; continue to follow through on what these gentlemen, Jonathan and Len offer for tips to hopefully solve the issue.  Simultaneously, send a message to the Seller, stating to the effect, that you will give the Seller 1 week to get back to you on this "to resolve" your "problem as the item was clearly misrepresented as listed" and if you "do not hear back in that week's time" you are going to "proceed with taking the actions necessary to remedy the situation".

Have you been able to take the shell off?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: Aljim54 on December 08, 2016, 06:48:16 PM
It is an ebay purchase.

Oh, how I used to cringe when someone came to the counter at my repair shop, and the first words out of their mouths were, "I bought this on eBay, and it doesn't run."

I'm sure there are legite sellers out their, especially retailers with an eBay presence. But man, there are a lot of scam artists too.

Len

jonathan

I will try to find some time this weekend, to take a few pics and help you through your problem. I'm guessing this loco in new and unused, but had a factory defect, and the seller didn't know how to handle it. 

Usually, factory defects are easy to fix, once you know where to look. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Aljim54

I thank all of you for your assistance

Aljim54

Jonathan,How many D rings should there be on each truck