News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which track cleaning car should I get?

Started by Flare, December 08, 2016, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

The 'orange sticks' are available in different lengths, and look like this:

I don't put anything on them, just get the loco's wheels spinning and use the pointed end to get stuff out of the flange/tread angle, the the chisel end to clean up the tread.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

Transmission fluid I am sure would work, but I would think there would be better products.  I would wonder what you layout would smell like after using it. Over the years, & I am over a lot of years. I have read many things work for this or that.  Then you never hear anything about them again.  Stove polish for painting steam locomotives.  Have any of you painted a steam locomotive with stove polish. No, what is stove polish?  Well it will work, but I think there are better products to use.  All I can say is if you want to try it fine.  If you like it, keep using it. It is not going to kill your layout. BUT DON"T DRINK IT.  I had to add that for the EPA or what ever it is>

jbrock27

Thanks Len.  What are they made of?

Quote from: RAM on December 09, 2016, 04:49:11 PM
Transmission fluid I am sure would work, but I would think there would be better products.

Several folks have reported that one of the liquids sold for the specific purpose of track cleaning, smells a lot like Transmission Fluid.  Coincidence.....?
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Len

'Orange Sticks' are called that because originally they were made from orange tree wood, and have a distinctive odor. Some still are, but you have to check the label, because a lot are made from just about any cheap wood these days.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

My friend has a track cleaning car that rubs the rail with a pad.  It hangs up on every rail joint, switch point, or switch frog/guard rail that is the slightest NASA tolerance molecule out of perfect alignment. I'm glad I saw that before I bought one.

RAM

If it hangs up, than there is something wrong with it.  If it is a replaceable pad, it may need to be replaced or not installed correctly.

BIG BEAR

+Flare,
   I have this track cleaning car in On30 and just Love it.
I only use the pads not the sand paper pads as I think this would be too abrasive,  :

http://www.mnpinc.com/on30.htm

Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

WilsonProductions2

*!MY FIRST POST IN 2017!*

I have heard from people who do own the Dapol Track Cleaner, that it is good. Better than the Hornby one, which is just a 4-Wheeled Coach and has been in production since the 1980's and is getting more expensive every year anyway! It's already has the RRP of £30.00, which is too much for what it is!

If I were you, I would buy the Dapol Track Cleaner.