News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On 30 consolidated 2-8-0 out side frame

Started by william webb, December 13, 2016, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william webb

>:( >:(I have one locomotive that just will not reverse through Atlas switches.
I have checked the wheels with a gauge, see nothing dragging under neath, cleaned out thr frogs, checked the guard rail but see no reason why this is happening.

I am baffled and could use some help.

Thank you

William Webb

ebtnut

What exactly is happening?  Is it derailing?  Stalling?  Shorting?  Need more data.

John Tumolo

Here's something to check-I have found that a lot of derails over switches and crossings are the result of the coupler "brake hose" hanging down too low.  A hose that seems ok moving one direction fouls out when reversing.  GENTLY bend the hose up and see if that does the trick.  Better yet, get down at eye level with a flashlight and watch the unit as it passes over the switch.  Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

P.S.  A Kadee #205 Multi-Purpose coupler gauge is worth it's weight in gold-check your local hobby shop for an HO version-it will check both the coupler height AND will easily show you if the "brake hose" is hanging too low.  I check each piece of new equipment before it hits the layout-too many bad experiences with brand new equipment derailing on its first trip around.  Note that Bachmann made the decision early on to use the HO height as the standard for On30, and everyone followed suit. 

John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

dutchbuilder

I can't remember seeing a brake hose on the Connie.
I haven't had any problems and i have several 2-8-0's
The only problem i had a while ago was the wiring between the tender and the locomotive dragging over the switches.

Ton

ebtnut

The coupler trip pin is curved in order to resemble the brake air hose hanging from the end of the car or loco.