LARGE SCALE DCC SOUND-EQUIPPED THOMAS & FRIENDS LOCOS ARE HERE!

Started by InsideTrack, December 13, 2016, 03:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACD134

Yes I will post some photos, and I will do a video, but it won't be before next weekend as working away!

I know it will look odd, but I will demonstrate all the sounds available, however they will all be on "Thomas" with just the CV changed.

I will also show the front and rear lamps on "Thomas" change from white to red depending on direction of travel.  I know the red shouldn't really be showing when "Thomas has a train behind but in the TV Series he does appear with a red on the bunker and a train behind, so I have used "Modeller's Licence" ;D

InsideTrack

The Instructions Sheet and Quick Start Guide that come with the separate-sale DCC Sound Module has been posted to the Product Reference page, Large Scale section.

Bachmann Trains

DrTechDaddy

If I install the 44958, (or some other decoder or PWM motor driver) do I need to remove the circuit board attached to the motor, or to the polarity switch?  I'm guessing this is a capacitive circuit that might possibly short-circuit a DCC signal.

If I do disconnect the circuit board and wire power directly to the motor,
what are the consequences?

BTW, ACD134, how are photos and video coming along?

InsideTrack

A new video of the Large Scale DCC Sound-Equipped Thomas and Percy has been uploaded to our YouTube channel. The video also includes instructions on installing the separate-sale Sound Module. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/-cde3bAiNrc

JD417

I have two questions to anyone who has bought the sound chip as a separate item. (Now forgive me if it's already been said, I haven't read through all the previous messages)

-Does the separate sale include a speaker with the chip, or would you have to buy one, as I can't seem to find any pictures of the backside of the sound chip still in the bag.
-Also, if anyone has added the sound chip to Toby, can you confirm if he has his classic series bell, or CGI bell?

GregoryB

I have installed the Bachmann Thomas and Friends DCC Sound Module (44958) in Toby, James and Emily. I used the E-Z Command Dynamis IR DCC System (36505) to change their CVs (CV 115) to get the correct sounds on each including the bell on Toby. I also installed lights, front and back on Toby and forward on James, and they work well (F10 on the E-Z Command). Note that you can't program CVs with the E-Z Command Digital Control System (44932) - you need the Dynamis to change CVs. Also note that you need to supply the speakers and LEDs separately. I also changed Toby's direction by changing CV 29 from 6 to 7 because I apparently wired the direction backwards and didn't want to re-open and the polarity switch does not function in DCC. They all work well in analog mode also with all the correct sounds and lights. My only remaining problem is that on Toby both the forward and reverse lights come on together instead of based on travel direction. I'm looking for a CV that can correct this.

Titanic5972

Would be great to see a video showing all the different sounds Greg. Be interesting to compare them.

andyb

It seems strange to me that sound-enabled Thomas comes with a factory fitted speaker, but when I enquired with Bachmann Uk about purchasing for the after-market sound module, I'm told you have to source your own...

Can anyone recommend something suitable? I have large scale Thomas, Percy and James

Cheers

Andy

thomasgleek444

Quote from: GregoryB on June 04, 2017, 11:18:11 AM
I have installed the Bachmann Thomas and Friends DCC Sound Module (44958) in Toby, James and Emily. I used the E-Z Command Dynamis IR DCC System (36505) to change their CVs (CV 115) to get the correct sounds on each including the bell on Toby. I also installed lights, front and back on Toby and forward on James, and they work well (F10 on the E-Z Command). Note that you can't program CVs with the E-Z Command Digital Control System (44932) - you need the Dynamis to change CVs. Also note that you need to supply the speakers and LEDs separately. I also changed Toby's direction by changing CV 29 from 6 to 7 because I apparently wired the direction backwards and didn't want to re-open and the polarity switch does not function in DCC. They all work well in analog mode also with all the correct sounds and lights. My only remaining problem is that on Toby both the forward and reverse lights come on together instead of based on travel direction. I'm looking for a CV that can correct this.
i know this post is a bit old, but would you mind making a video of all the sounds, i been wanting to hear what they all sound like

Chaz

Well, although not a video made by the earlier poster, someone finally uploaded a video showcasing the sound from James Toby and Emily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-4xBWMXX4

Honestly, I am blown away by the sound quality that is offered to these engines, it's a shame that they are not available with DCC and sound already installed.

An added bonus is that Toby has his model era bell included as opposed to his bell that came in the CG era that was originally Flora's bell.  Little details like this are always nice and welcomed.

It's a shame that we do not have sound available for all the other engines besides Thomas in HO, or DCC in the HO range as a whole.  Personally, I would welcome it with loving arms if we get decent sound quality such as this.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

thomasgleek444

I just came here to post that same video XD since I am the one who recorded it lol

Chaz

Oh wow, small world!  Definitely appreciated you taking the time to put the video together.  I showed this to a handful of other Thomas fans on a Facebook group and they really enjoyed it.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: thomasgleek444 on August 06, 2018, 08:28:02 PM
I just came here to post that same video XD since I am the one who recorded it lol

Really impressed with your work as well.  I've been wanting to hear the James, Emily, and Toby's sounds ever since I watched Bachmann's video on the DCC sound Thomas equipped engines.  What really impressed me was that Toby was actually given a bell as I was afraid he would have just been given a random whistle.  Considering not many people have done this modification (or at least done it and posted a video), it's nice to see someone has finally made this available to the public so we can see and/or hear the sounds offered.

Out of curiosity, how much did you have on average into installing DCC sound into each model?  I looked into prices on that myself, but I was looking at almost $150-$200 each, and that was just if I were to do it myself without paying my hobby shop to install everything.  I actually found it cheaper just to sell off my existing Thomas and Percy and put that money towards buying the DCC sound models instead.  I'm hoping Bachmann announces the other characters with DCC sound in 2019, but if they don't I'll probably end up installing it myself.

One last thing I'm curious about is if you have any plans on installing lights on your models?  I know the sound module does offer the option to do so and I think it would really make the models stand out that much more.  I know Chaz had this done with his HO models of Thomas, Percy, James, and Toby years back.  I'd probably be tempted to do the same with my Large Scale models when I get around to having DCC sound on them, but I'm not completely sure yet.  Anyways, thanks again for the video and keep up the good work. ;)

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

thomasgleek444

Quote from: Plow Bender on August 07, 2018, 01:09:37 PM
Quote from: thomasgleek444 on August 06, 2018, 08:28:02 PM

Really impressed with your work as well.  I've been wanting to hear the James, Emily, and Toby's sounds ever since I watched Bachmann's video on the DCC sound Thomas equipped engines.  What really impressed me was that Toby was actually given a bell as I was afraid he would have just been given a random whistle.  Considering not many people have done this modification (or at least done it and posted a video), it's nice to see someone has finally made this available to the public so we can see and/or hear the sounds offered.

Out of curiosity, how much did you have on average into installing DCC sound into each model?  I looked into prices on that myself, but I was looking at almost $150-$200 each, and that was just if I were to do it myself without paying my hobby shop to install everything.  I actually found it cheaper just to sell off my existing Thomas and Percy and put that money towards buying the DCC sound models instead.  I'm hoping Bachmann announces the other characters with DCC sound in 2019, but if they don't I'll probably end up installing it myself.

One last thing I'm curious about is if you have any plans on installing lights on your models?  I know the sound module does offer the option to do so and I think it would really make the models stand out that much more.  I know Chaz had this done with his HO models of Thomas, Percy, James, and Toby years back.  I'd probably be tempted to do the same with my Large Scale models when I get around to having DCC sound on them, but I'm not completely sure yet.  Anyways, thanks again for the video and keep up the good work. ;)

-Rusty
I was able to find the decoders all over the place like eBay and random online hobby shops, not really ever more than $100 each (excluding the shipping) you just need to make sure that you have all the right tools to do this.
for the speakers, I just got some off of Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KXQG17/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and one day I might install lighting, it would just take a lot of drilling into the "lights" that are on each engine now, and then maybe I would also put some lamps in places where they should be

however, right now I'm trying to find the tools, time, and money, to make a custom Edward, Gordon, and Henry. (because their sounds are on the sound module as well)

Chaz

I could definitely picture Edward being an easier one to pull off compared to Gordon and Henry, especially when the parts for James are readily available online, which is similar to what N scale modelers in Japan have done when making Edward.  Only instead of buying two James models, with Bachmann, you can easily buy the parts online.