News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Aprox 20 Year Old Aniversary 4-6-0

Started by Old Guy, December 16, 2016, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Guy

First I must apologize,
This is the first time I have joint a forum (so I am not sure how this all works)
I have an old 4-6-0 Valvoline 125th anniversary G gauge train set. (Approximately 20 years old)That we only use this time of year (about 4 weeks total) for around our Christmas tree.  Lately it seems that I take more time to repair it, than I spend using it. (the chassis is in desperate need of repair) So I am reaching out for some help. I spoke with Bachmann's parts department, the man I spoke with told me that there have been customers that have swapped the old body on to an updated (newer) Chassis. And said that this forum would be a good place to start. About the only thing I can tell you is that my original chassis uses the part # G81006W old generation pilot truck (I was able to find it in Bachmann's on line catalog).Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Old Guy,

You are very welcome here and we are a friendly group always willing to help.

That Valvoline set was made in 1991 just for the Valvoline company. The Santa Fe 4-6-0 #49 in the set had the early version 3 chassis. The pilot truck on the replacement chassis is the same as the one one your Valvoline Set locomotive.

the new Big Hauler chassis are version 5 which is a very trouble free, and smooth running chassis.  Since you have done some repairs already, it should not be difficult for you to remove the boiler and cab from the chassis and put it on the new chassis.

This Big Hauler chassis should be just what you need and is on sale for only $29 bucks!

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5868

There may be some color differences between what you have and this one, but mechanically it would be a perfect replacement.

Some members are replacing their older chassis with the Anniversary 4-6-0 chassis with the metal side rods.

Here is one example that should work for you:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=4080

They are currently $55

Again welcome and keep enjoying that great Valvoline Set!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Old Guy

Wow, what a wealth of information.
Thank You very, very much Loco Bill, I will be ordering one of the two choices here soon. And yes I do truly appreciate it. that means that we will be able to enjoy this set for many years to come. I have used it with My children and now will be able to continue using it with my grandchildren. And hand it down to one of them someday.
Merry Christmas