News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Assembling HO Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by AlanC, February 16, 2007, 12:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanC

I just received a Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation with DCC & Sound On-Board.  Although it included a CD and lots of programming information, it included nothing about putting the tender and loco together.

They use very small connectors and I don't know how to run the oversized cables.  The tender is lifted off the track by the cables.  I compared it against an older model unit which had the cables routed on each side of the drawbar.  This one had the drawbar right through the middle of the cable.  I removed the drawbar and changed it to the way the older one was.  It seems with oversized cables they need to bend out sideways.

Right now the larger cable drags along the ties while the shorter cable tries to lift the tender.  It derails on one of my Walthers turnouts that has been in place for many years.  Possibly one of the trucks is not gauged correctly.

Any help on what we are supposed to do with this?

the Bach-man

Dear Alan,
Make sure one wire bundle is on each side of the drawbar. The lenght of the wire loop can be adjusted bt removing the tender shell.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rikc9

Hello Mr Bach-man

Where is this Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation with DCC & Sound On-Board in the Bachmann catalog? I think I completely searched the HO steam engine category but only saw DCC equipped steam engines. None were listed as having sound. I also searched using key word sound and no HO 2-8-0 engines with sound. I would like to buy one. Thank you.

rikc9

the Bach-man

Dear rikc9,
It's in the new catalog. Call Philly to request one.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

AlanC

Whoa here,
   The cable comes of out the loco and plugs into sockets on the front of the tender.  So how am I supposed to shorten the cable by opening the tender.  There seems to be quite a few people complaining that their tender does not track.  Mine derails on some of my Walthers' turnouts that have been in place for a long time.  The wheels appear to be in gauge and the trucks rotate freely.  Next chance I get, I will unplug the cables from the tender and then just roll the tender through the Walthers' turnouts to see what is happening.  Could it be the wheel flange size is too much?  My older 2-8-0 does not have this problem.

I used to have a rule to always buy steamers locally where I could see it run before I bought it.  I did not follow it this time or with the older 2-8-0, which was a mail-order Xmas gift from the wife.

Spectrum had the Fireman Fred removed form the the Tsunami sounds?  Is that correct?  That was one of my favorite items.  I sometimes park another engine near my workbench so I can listen to the various sounds as I work.  Sounds like shoveling, greasing, wrenching, etc.  I suppose removing sounds means a cheaper processor or ROM to save money.

Alan C.

topsir2

I hate to hear that there is a problem with the 2-8-0 with sound, I just ordered one on line. I'm not opening it when I get it, I'll just return it for a refund. Too expensive to be having problems with it.

AlanC

Hi,
   You didn't respond to the last message so thought I would try again. 

The cables from the loco to the plug in the tender are so long, they drag along the ties looking to catch on something.  You told me that the cables come out of the tender and by opening the tender I could shorten them.  Sorry, but they come out of the loco.  So I should open the loco?

I did find that the tender has one wide gauge axle that picks a couple frogs on my layout.  I am not sure how to narrow it.  I have tried twisting and compressing the wheels together.  The wheel with the plastic center seems to be forced onto the axle but I was not successful in changing its gauge.  Any chance I could get a correctly gauged wheel set?

Alan C.

Hoople

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

rogertra

Follow Hoople's advice and add a little weight to the tender.

I always add an ounce or two of weight, using those stick-on lead weights, to every Bachmann tender in order to counteract the upward thrust of the wiring harness.

I'd also suggest that you tuck the wiring harness as far into the tender as possible, especially on the 4-6-0s as the harness is waaaaay too long and goes below the railhead if not tucked back inside the tender.

lanny

I agree with Hoople and Roger T. I had to add weight to both my Spec 2-8-0 as well as my 2-10-0 tenders in order for them to track properly. I used the commercial lead pieces with the self adhesive tape, though anything would work. I specifically put weight towards the front of the tender and in both cases that worked perfectly.

My Spec 4-6-0 is on order and from what Roger says, it sounds as though I will be doing the same to that when I receive it.

My Spec heavy mountain and 2-6-6-2 don't seem to need any added tender weight.
lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bill Baker

AlanC,

I don't have the specific 2-8-0 you have, but from what I'm gathering in your question, you have too much slack in your connecting wires.  What the Bachman said is correct. Remove the tender shell and pull the slack back into the tender.  Also make sure your drawbar is in the midst of the wire bundle.  While you have the shell off, add weight in areas that will not interfer with the electronics.  Since I don't have one I can't tell you specifically where. I have two DC 2-8-0s and I don't have any problem with the wheel gages.  Good luck.
Bill

AlanC

Hi,
   This is very frustrating.  So far, I have gotten no useful answers.  A friend bought a larger Spectrum steamer with sound recently.  He was not able to program it even with help from someone knowledgeable in sound engines so he returned it to the seller.  Is that my option?

The tender wheels are out of gauge.  No  one can tell me how to fix it.  If it hops over the frog on a switch will more weight make it hop less?

I have never seen one of these engines with cables coming out of the tender; I have 2, my club has 2-3, plus other members.

Can Bachman offer no useful and accurate advice?

Alan C.

Bill Baker

Well, this is frustrating for some of us too. The Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0 has wires coming from the engine, connecting to wires coming from the tender. It is the tender wires that I was suggesting you shorten.

If you can post a picture it would certainly help with some advice.  Also, you can call Bachman service, they should be able to help.
Bill

SteamGene

Is it possible that the sound DCC 2-8-0 has the wires coming from the loco to the tender in order to make more room for decoder and speaker?  If so, I guess one can only try to tuck the too long wires into the boiler shell.
This goes back to uniformity!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

AllanC

ALL Bachmann Spectrum engines have wires between the engine and tender.

Are you sure you have a Spectrum engine?

However, as Gene says, "This goes back to uniformity!"

Mr B - PLEASE NOTE and pass on to the toy makers in China.

STANDARDISATION PLEASE on engine to tender harness, we've been asking for years.