News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NOS DC/AC Power Packs

Started by dchampney, December 16, 2016, 11:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchampney

I have a new old stock Model Power and Bachmann power pack. Both are AC/DC
They cut out after about a 1 minute or two of use.  My other power packs work fine (one is the same Bachmann)

I am wondering what the deal might be!

Thanks

richiy

The deal is, defective power pack.

richiy

Len

Or you're overloading them. What scale trains are you running, and are you using a lot of lighted passenger cars?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I am curious; why would it happen on 2 packs but not the others (similar packs) if it was not due to a defect?  Difference in AMP ratings on the packs?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 17, 2016, 08:36:54 AM
I am curious; why would it happen on 2 packs but not the others (similar packs) if it was not due to a defect?  Difference in AMP ratings on the packs?

Yes. Especially if they're the old style, like this:

Fairly easy to overload.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

As I thought.  Thanks Len
Besides paper weights, I always say those are pretty much good for 1 thing, using the AC terminals for an accessory like a switch machine.  One other thing, if you want to set the VDC to a certain amount by measuring with a meter and then setting the dial to not move, in order to run something that takes a constant DC voltage under 18V like signal light LEDs or other DC items of that nature.
Keep Calm and Carry On

dchampney

These are the power packs I use for around the Christmas tree.
One round track set up and another Oval set up, neither are connected to each other.
One is a smoker other is a diesel Gauge HO

James in FL

I have to agree here, I suspect thermal overload.
Problem with thermal breakers is that after a time or two it takes less heat (current) to make them pop.
If they have been overloaded several times, to the point of thermal shut-down, the breaker gets "weak" and will overload more frequently.
This is why some power packs go into reset and some continue on without a hitch.
What is the rated "output" of your powersupply? Should be on the case somewhere.
Do you have a multi-meter so as you can accurately measure current draw?

QuoteOne is a smoker other is a diesel Gauge HO

Ok yeah, but it's all about total current draw, any lighted cars in the mix?
Either way, you are taxing your power supply to its limit, never a good thing to do.

richiy

Quote from: dchampney on December 17, 2016, 02:49:00 PM
These are the power packs I use for around the Christmas tree.
One round track set up and another Oval set up, neither are connected to each other.
One is a smoker other is a diesel Gauge HO

Do the packs trip with nothing on the track? If they get warm but don't trip, could be low resistance between the rails.
There could be low resistance somewhere and adding the loco increase the amount of current being drawn.
They should be able to handle one loco.
Only the DC terminals used or also the AC terminals for accessories?

richiy