Troubles withE-Z Mate Magnet with Brakeman

Started by dizzydave, December 20, 2016, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dizzydave

Forgive me  if this is not the place to discuss this topic: but I recently purchased 8 E-Z Mate Magnets with Brakeman and was perplexed when they had no effect on the rolling stock when the train passed over them.  I followed the instruction on the package to a "t"( that's an old vernacular phrase). I have cork roadbed and regular track, but package indicates that this combination  will work.  Any thoughts?

richiy

I did some searching. Does all your rolling stock have magnetic couplers? One fellow said his locos did but not the rolling stock.
How about coupler height?
I use to have problems with Kadee some years ago. The glad hand hight was incorrect.
The Bachmann couplers are magnetic.

richiy

Len

With tension on the couplers, nothing should happen when the train passes over the magnet.

When you want to uncouple:

1. Stop the train so the couplers you want to release are over the magnet.
2. Back the train slightly to put some slack in the couplers. You should see the wire 'air hoses' move to the sides.
3. Pull the train ahead slightly to uncouple.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

dizzydave

My description of rolling stock was a shorthand way of describing my  situation without getting too wordy.  Believe me, I have manipulated the cars over the magnet in many ways.  I hadn't thought about coupler  height, however.  I will check this suggestion out.  All my couplers are kadee #5.

richiy