News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Norfolk & Western J611

Started by Fritzee, December 19, 2016, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fritzee

A collector gave me this engine and tender that was still in the original box.  Don't think it has ever been run.  When I put it on the track the engine headlight comes on, it hums, but it will move only a fraction of an inch and stop.  It acts like the wheel links may be out of sync....like when the pedals on a tricycle are not in position for the riders feet to push the pedals forward or backward.  I took the shell off the engine, then removed 2 screws from the pan between the wheels but cannot determine who to get into the guts of it to see if the electrical connectors are contacting the wheels.  Any thoughts?

richiy

After a bunch of searching, I wonder if the below is your loco?
Is there a rubber tyre on the right side rear driver? If there is, that would be 1990 vintage. A smoke unit also. With bright flash light, look into smoke stack.

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann484classjdiagram1990.jpg

They had a pancake motor which could be a problem.
If the rods seem ok, pull the shell. One side, the rods should be ninety degrees from the other side. Do they appear to be bound up?

richiy

Fritzee

Thanks for the reply, Richiy.  Although the item number is different #41-0657-A4, it looks identical....with smoke unit and light in smoke stack.  It has rubber on both rear wheels.  I would describe the motor as having a pancake appearance. For the most part the difference in the rod alignment is 90 degrees, however one rear wheel is 90 degrees but in the opposite direction than the other wheels on the same side.....I guess "bound up".  When I put the loco on the track it moves forward for half a wheel turn, then they move backwards for a moment.

Fritzee

How do you remove the chassis after removing the 2 screws?  Then, do you just pop the rear wheels off to align the rods?

richiy

Getting Permission Denied on the photo now. HO Seeker has had this issue with other people. Posting in a forum is where it happens.
I emailed the HO Seeker administrator but no response.
Go to HO Seeker, Bachmann page and look up the diagram.

richiy

Fritzee

Thanks.  I was able to print-out the diagram, but still can't figure how to pop off the chassis underframe after removing the 2 screws.
Of it is just a matter of popping off the rear wheel and aligning the rod, I may be able to do that without removing the underframe.