News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-2

Started by rogertra, December 19, 2016, 10:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Anyone have any of these new locos and you comments please.  PM me if you feel so inclined.

Has a review been published by one of the major comics yet?

I ask becuase I no longer MR & RMC and if they have rec'd favourable reviews, I'm in the market for a  couple

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Roger,

I like them alot (sic).

I posted about them some time ago. http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32325.0.html

To sum up:

The locos are back-heavy.  They need about an ounce in the smokebox area.  There is plenty of room.  That weight solves any issues the loco had when purchased.

The sound value is nice.  The chuff rate is closer to a more realistic speed than my other Bachmanns that came with sound.

I placed a thin washer on the post that holds the drawbar. I thought the drawbar seemed a little loose and was prone to hanging down just a bit. The washer solved that. It may not have been a real issue, but I felt an ounce of prevention was the right way to go.

Been running my two at the club layout and at shows for a few months now.  I have had no issues.

When I had these apart, I noticed the gear tower is strikingly similar to the gear setup in the 2-8-4 Berkshires. I sold my 2-8-4 some time ago, so I can't comment about the long term life of the gears.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I had these broken down to parade rest, so I've seen the innards.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

MR and RMC appear to almost only review diesels. 

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 20, 2016, 07:38:07 AM
MR and RMC appear to almost only review diesels. 

One thing about RM and RMC is if they cannot find anything positive to say or find too many negative things to say about an advertisers product, they simply do not publish a review.

Unlike the UK model magazines who aren't beyond giving a poor review.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Read the reviews in the old MR's back in the early 60's.  They would call a turkey a turkey.  I almost bought a particular die cast HO steam engine until the reviews said  how grossly overscaled it was, more like S scale than HO.  When I finally saw one,  I was amazed at how elephantine it was , not discernible in the ad photos.  Those engines are still around at train shows and I still laugh to myself about all of that when I see one.

RAM

There was a lot of OO scale locomotives that were imported which were sold as HO.