Are Railtruck replacement gears still available?

Started by Flare, November 26, 2016, 03:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I sent an email to the On30 Support email address last week and have yet to hear back from them.

Is that branch of the site still active?

the Bach-man

Dear Flare,
Give the parts department a call on Monday.
They'll be happy to help.
Have Fun!
the Bach-man

Flare

Well I called the parts department and the guy I talked to didn't seem to know anything about the free regearing kits and the motor/gearbox replacements are out of stock.

I also sent an email to NorthWest Short Line (They make replacement gears for Bachmann products as well) and they said that steel gears for the Railtruck are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2017. *fingers crossed*

Flare

My new white plastic gears came today and I got them installed, but something's wrong.

All the parts spin freely when I apply power, except for the rear axle when its cover is secured.  (It happens when I use the old and new rear axle)

The railtruck does move, but I can hear the gears slipping in the 'differential'.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

dutchbuilder

I have the same problem and ruined one set of diff gears.

Ton

2foot6

Hi guys, I had the same problem after recently purchasing a new motor and gear box for the rail truck,unfortunately the beveled gear in the gear box was faulty ,and it was replaced by Bachmann. So I would recommend looking at two points........   No 1.   the output drive from the gear box,making sure it's power is OK,not slipping or jurking........   No 2.  check the  rear wheel in the diff,make sure you have the wheel around the right way.If it is in the wrong ,it sort of works, but works better in the right  way. Don't ask me how I know this......it's an easy mistake...... (check the exploded view parts diagram.)...Peter :)

Flare

I've tried the rear axle both ways:  The orientation that goes forward and backward properly in DCC mode slips, and I can see something sticking out of the cover that makes the other way not work at all.

I'm becoming afraid to test more ideas in case I strip these new gears...

jkemp

Quote from: Flare on November 28, 2016, 03:55:52 PM

I also sent an email to NorthWest Short Line (They make replacement gears for Bachmann products as well) and they said that steel gears for the Railtruck are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2017. *fingers crossed*

Thank you for this info.

I found (and purchased) a Railtruck on Amazon about a month ago, so I am glad that these will be available soon.   I'm certain, whether sooner or later, that I will need a set for myself.

Flare

Now I'm getting frustrated.

I took the railtruck off the bench again with the idea that maybe the rear axle was the problem, and tried spinning it with the rear section of the driveline removed.

The rear axle spins freely.  Just like the drive line when I try it with no rear axle.  But together, they bind up.   >:(

2foot6

It sounds like you are having the initial problem I had,inside the gear box there is a beveled gear on the drive shaft that connects to the rear wheel.I think you will find that beveled gear is split,so when there is no or little load ,it spins,but under load the gear slips on the shaft.Hope this helps....Peter.