current status on Bachmann On30 Climax gear repairs?

Started by jkemp, December 23, 2016, 01:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkemp

current status on Bachmann On30 Climax gear repairs?

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new-in-box Bachmann On30 Climax at a train show from an out of town vendor I will probably never see again.  Paid cash.

I just had a chance to give my new Climax a try a couple of days ago, and, straight out of the box, I'm having gear issues.

When applying (DC) power, the lights light up, the valve gears turn, and there is a (small) observable attempt for the wheels to turn, but they don't really do anything.

Wondering out loud, on the Bachmann forum,  are there any repair options available thru Bachmann?   Should I focus my efforts at replacement NWSL gears?  Something else?

This is my first Bachmann Climax.  Aside from the mechanical issues, its a great looking model.

Comments appreciated.

2foot6

I would suggest the best thing to do ,is ring Bachmann to return the loco to them for repair or replacement under warranty.I have to ,I have a number of these locos and they are all good runners with no problems......Peter.

mabloodhound

Call the service center on the phone and ask for the replacement gear set.
This is a known problem and they used to send out replacement gears for free but you might have to pay for the set now.
There is a tutorial on this forum on how to replace the gears.
NWSL does NOT have any gears for it.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jkemp

Thank you both for the comments.

I will give them a call once the holidays wind down and everyone has returned to work.