News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke Unit

Started by Nightwing, December 25, 2016, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwing

I have an 060 loco with smoke.  I read somewhere that unless you keep the stack wet with smoke oil, the coil will burn out.  Also, After using the smoke oil for a few runs, it seems that it doesn't get as hot.  When new, a couple of weeks ago, you could look down the stack as the train passed by and the orange glow was visible.  Now, the loco has to be run much faster than I like in order to get any smoke and the orange glow is much dimmer.

How long do these smoke units last?

Merry Christmas Nightwing,
            671 here. I run WbyB O Guage Steam locos. Here is what I have done to prolong their smoke units life and performance.

1.   I installed an On/Off switch for the smoke unit. Very simple install. Just interrupt ( Cut ) one of the wires supplying power directly to the smoke unit. Splice two  wires to the now open leads ( one on each ). Run those wires to the loco's cab, install to a micro slide switch. Epoxy the switch to the inside of the cab. Voila! A kill switch for the smoker. Turn smoker off when not in use.

2.   More consistent smoke output. The need to lower supply track voltage to the electrical motor. This will allow you to run at a higher supply voltage ( track voltage ). Higher track voltage will supply the smoker unit power supply module with enough voltage to allow for it to produce it's maximum design output voltage ( approx. 7-8 volts ).
      To achieve this I installed rectifier diodes in series to both sides of the motor ( brush ) wires. Four on each side reduces motor supply voltage by close to three volts motor voltage. You can use a bridge rectifier and some single diodes to save space. Thus your loco at 10 volt track voltage runs at a speed of 7 volt original out of the box speed.
      More smoke lower speeds.

I have done this with all of my locos. They smoke like they are on fire for approx. 15 minute on one fill. My oldest WbyB Steamer has been smoking for well over Five (5) years.
      I have a post from years ago detailing these actual modifications with many details. Look them up. You will be very pleased with the slow speed performance of the loco and smoke output.

"Smokem if you Gottem"

Len

Nightwing: Are you talking about the HO 0-6-0, or something larger?? It makes a difference.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

from a maintenance standpoint, you'd be better off removing the smoke unit, They cause more trouble than they're worth, and can be easily removed with a screwdriver once the boiler is removed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nightwing

Quote from: Len on December 26, 2016, 10:13:23 AM
Nightwing: Are you talking about the HO 0-6-0, or something larger?? It makes a difference.

Len

Yes, a Bachmann HO loco.

Len

Quote from: Nightwing on December 26, 2016, 02:24:20 PM
Quote from: Len on December 26, 2016, 10:13:23 AM

Len

Yes, a Bachmann HO loco.

In that case, like Jeff said, the best thing to do is remove it. Smoke doesn't really scale, and in HO it's generally more trouble than it's worth. There's really no space to do the diode trick '671' mentioned, and the smoke residue on the track creates problems that don't happen with the heavier 'S' and 'O' equipment.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.