Gen 2 climax dcc factory sound!ANY SUGGESTIONS! !

Started by petertoot, December 25, 2016, 11:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

Hi there,I am thinking of battery power fir this Loco, not much room for batteries,so what would be the best,a battery car will be a must,and which control system,kevin strong,this may be for thanks,cheers,peter

Kevin Strong

If you want to use the factory DCC decoder, I'd get either a Tam Valley Depot DRS1 Hi-Power receiver or Airwire 6-amp Convertr and put it in a battery car. Run two wires forward, and plug them into the battery input on the PC board. The Tam Valley Depot and Convertr receivers take power from the battery, combine it with the DCC signal being transmitted via the transmitter, and send a standard DCC signal to the decoder. Since the Climax already has the DCC decoder onboard, just set your transmitter to the apporpriate loco address (whatever that is; by default it's 3 until you reprorgram it), and you're off and running. The advantage of this arrangement is that there's no re-wiring of the loco necessary; just a pigtail 2-pin connector to go between the Climax and battery car connected to the screw terminals. If you want to run the Climax on track power, simply throw the switch from "battery" back to "track" and you're off and running on traditional track-powered DCC.

Note--I'm betting that by default the DCC decoder on the Climax is set to run on analog DC track power as well. With the Airwire Convertr, you will want to change that so that it does not run on analog DC. (It's one of the bits in CV29). Here's why... if you turn on the power to the locomotive before the transmitter is turned on, the Convertr won't recognize a legitimate DCC signal, and will simply pass the battery voltage forward to the decoder. The decoder sees a linear DC voltage, thinks it's analog DC track power, and your loco takes off down the track at 14.8 volts (or whatever your pack is rated at). When you turn on the transmitter, it will see the valid DCC signal and the loco will stop, but it does create a few moments of panic. Likewise, if the loco was to run out of range of the transmitter, you'd get the same behavior.

I do not know if the Tam Valley Depot receiver does this or not.

Any of the Airwire transmitters will work with both receivers. I'd recommend the T-5000, as it's very easy to use, and using the on-screen menu to program CVs on the decoder is a tremendous improvement over previous versions.

Later,

K

petertoot

Hi kevin,thanks for that info,will find out,what batteries would you recommend cheers happy new year😀😀😀

Kevin Strong

If your battery car allows for easy access to the batteries, I'd get two of these and just swap the charged one for the discharged one.

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650148v2200mahrechargeablebatterypackwithpcbprotection.aspx

It's 14.8 volts, 2200 mAh, which should run the Climax for a good 3 hours.

If you can't easily get inside the battery car, then I'd go for a higher capacity battery (4400mAh) such as this:

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650148v4400mahpcbpreotectedrechargeablebatterywithbareleads.aspx

or this one, 5200 mAh, which is about $13 more:

http://www.all-battery.com/AT_Tenergy_Li-Ion_18650_14.8V_5200mAhRectangularBatteryPackWithPCB-31892.aspx

You'll get 6 - 7 hours run time out of the 4400 mAh pack and probably in the neighborhood of 8 hours with the 5200 mAh pack. They're the same size, just slightly higher-capacity cells. I'm not convinced the extra capacity is needed; I've got the 4400 mAh pack in a few locos of mine, and I've yet to run the battery flat unless I'm running the loco a lot (multiple operating sessions) and forget how long it's been since I charged it.

The charger I'd recommend for either pack can be found here:

http://www.all-battery.com/universalfastsmarttlp3000chargerforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack148v4cells.aspx

There are fancier chargers, but this is all I've ever used and I've been using Li-Ion batteries since 2009. I've only had 2 (so far) stop holding a charge.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Peter,

I fully concur with Kevin's recommendations on the Tenergy Batteries and Charger.   Especially the 14.8 2200 mah version battery.  I have several that are over 10 years old and still charging perfectly.   My son uses the 4400 mah batteries and has great experience with them as well.   We haven't tried the 5200mah battery.   Many years ago I made my own battery packs using individual cells, but the prices on the already built packs are so cheap now it just isn't worth going thru the trouble anymore.

The Tenergy charger is simple, effective and cheap.  I have three and love them, never had a problem.  Some friends with the fancy expensive balancing chargers can't even figure out how to use them.  I have never balanced any of my battery packs, and have noticed no problems. 

All-Battery sometimes has special sales and gives out coupon codes which further reduces the already great low prices.

Right now they are offering free shipping on orders over $75.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

petertoot

Hi there thanks for the information, as I live in ozzie,can you post batteries,will get in touch with them,go from there cheers from ozzie🚆🚆🚆🚆

Loco Bill Canelos

Gosh Peter, forgot you were down there,  I don't think you can send lithium batteries by mail.   If there is a way I have no idea what it would be.

Cheers & Beers,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

They have e-mail and live chat options at the top of their web page. It'd be worth asking about shipping to down under. I'd imagine they have surface options, or maybe can point you to a dealer in your neck of the woods.

Later,

K

A Trainman

Peter,
You might try contacting Tony.
http://www.rcs-rc.com

He's down under also.

Adam

petertoot

Hi Adam, thanks for the tip,I did contact tony,but I want to use the dcc in this Loco, he did a neat install on a new gen climax,radio control,battery,guess where the battery was put,inside the cab,on the roof,he split the pack wit wires,looks cool,will try to find pics,again thanks to all the reply, cheers peter

Tony Walsham

Hello Peter.
Li-Ion 4s 1.7 a/hr pack split in two so two cells sit either side of the roof hatch.

Installed up under the roof.  They are invisible from the top and sides.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

petertoot