Gearbox Replacement for the #10 4-6-0 Locomotive

Started by mekump, December 26, 2016, 01:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mekump

I need to replace the gearbox (G813X-0AY01) in a Bachmann locomotive. How do I gain access to removing the motor and gearbox? Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mekump

RkyGriz, thank you very much for such detailed instructions and thank you Loco Bill Canelos for the info and links. You guys are a wealth of information. I have the anniversary model and the chassis I need is Model: CH-81093, but unfortunately they appear to be sold out.

Since the chassis I need is not in stock, I think I am going to attempt to tear down the chassis to replace the gearbox, since I will need to perform some of those same steps if I were to replace the chassis. I'll take Loco Bill's advice and photograph each step of the way. I'll wait to order parts in case I break something along the way and maybe by than they'll have the chassis I need in stock and I'll order that as well so I will have a backup.

many thanks,
Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Michael,

Not sure which Annie you have, but any of the chassis will work. the gereic black is in stock along with several others.  Here is the link to the generic black:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=4084

Tearing down the loco and gear box is a great learning experience, and I have done it many times!

Have fun doing it!!

Bill

mekump

Bill,

I tore down the loco today and was able to get to the gearbox, so I went ahead and ordered one. I would like to order a chassis, especially at these prices, just so that I have a backup. The one you sent me in the link appears to be dark green. I am not sure that really matters to me though. It says that it has the 2 switches, same as I have, but does it have the 2 plugs for sound and backup light or is that something that would need to be transferred from the old one?

BTW, I am not sure which Annie I have either. I purchased this loco, tender and some passenger cars at a local train show a couple years ago. It's got 'White Pass' printed on the tender, so I assume it's the 'White Pass and Yukon'. The number on the side of the cab is '10' so I assume that is the anniversary edition loco. As mentioned above it has 2 switches, smoke and reverse?, and 2 plugs at the rear of the cab that the tender plugs into for the backup light and sound. Any additional information you can give me on this loco would be much appreciated.

thank you,
Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Michael,

According to my records The WPY #10 4-6-0 was sold in a set in 1993:

90095*   WP&Y   The Northern Express   1993   1997   Freight   10   Ver2&3   BOX F&CC 588   Tank Mobil #SVX1443   Bob Cab WP&Y 903
90095   Notes:   In catalog 1993 to 1997      

The set locomotive was not an Annie, but a Big hauler 4-6-0 with the version 2 or 3 chassis.   

In 2000 Bachmann introduced a WP&Y Annie as a separate item also with the number #10.   the Bachmann  product number was 81096. It was confusing to many to have 2 versions of the WP&Y 4-6-0 with the same number 10.  So it became important to know how to tell them apart.  The easiest way being that the Annie had the metal siderods and the Big Hauler had the plastic siderods.

In 2007 a new White Pass set was introduced which did include a Anniversary 4-6-0 but it was numbered 14:

90059   WP&Y   White Pass & Yukon   2007   2012   Pass   14   Annie   Coach #214 Lake Spirit   Observation #240 Lake Bennett
90059   Notes:   New in 2007 This is the first non-Christmas set with an Annie and the first non Christmas Catalog set with an Annie no lights in passenger cars.                     

Since you bought the pieces separately without the box it is hard to say where they all came from, but if you have the coach 214 Lake spirit and it has no lights it is from set 90059 for sure, same for the Observation car 240 lake Bennet, if it has no lights then it too is from set 90059.  These were the only White pass cars sold without lights except for the 4 door baggage cars.

White Pass & Yukon items were a huge seller for Bachmann and a large number of cars were produced.

Back to your Annie  #10, it has the more complex Walshearts valve gear &siderods.  The #14 Annie from the set has the more simplified Stephenson Valve gear.  So if you do get a chassis be sure to get one with the valve gear you prefer.    When buying a chassis, it is important not to buy one from a woodburner, because the woodburner version does not have a bacikup light and so no wire for one.

The one in the link I gave you is green, but does have the complex Walshearts Valve gear and wiring for both the sound and rear light.

This one is mostly plain black except for the gold on the spokes which could easily be painted black:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=4080
It has all the wiring you need as well.

Again enjoy and have fun!

Bill

mekump

From the above info, I have the Bachmann 81096, WP&Y Annie, since I have the metal siderods. As for the passenger cars, I do have the boxes for them.

Thank you Bill.

Michael

mekump

Well, I received the replacement gearbox from Bachmann. It took a few days to tear down, replace the gearbox and put the loco  back together. I think the gearbox replacement was the easiest part of the job. The part that gave me the most difficulty was putting the shell back onto the chassis.

Unfortunately, she squeaks when she takes the curves in forward. Reverse squeaks also, but not nearly as bad. Otherwise she runs well. Not sure what to do about the squeak, since it didn't have this problem before the teardown.  :(

Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Be sure to use plastic compatible oil and oil lightly all the moving parts, use plastic compatible grease on the front truck slot.   Hard to find squeaks at times, sometimes things get put back together too tightly, other times oil does the trick.

Bill

mekump

Thank you for the reply Bill.

I used Backmann's EZ-lube so I should be safe. I watched and followed the instructions from the loco maintenance video from Bachmann on how to lube the 4-6-0.

The layout is a Christmas layout and for some reason the track seems to be dirtier than usual this year. I took a damp rag and wiped the curves down and the squeaking temporarily stopped. I put a drop of EZ-lube conductive lube on each of the locomotive's wheels as instructed to do in the video. Wonder if that was a mistake.

Once we take the tree down I'll be able to get to the track easier. I'll try cleaning it with a track cleaner and will also clean the locomotive wheels and see if that takes care of the squeaking.

This has been a good learning experience for me. Hopefully I'll never need to replace the gearbox again in this loco, but would if I needed to. So that brings up a question. Do they make a gearbox with metal gears for this loco? From what I have read on this forum, version 9 loco's use metal gears.

Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Michael,

Yes the version six does use metal gears, but so far they are not yet available.   Actually we only have about 4 years experience with the version six gearbox, but so far it looks great.  Actually the version 5 gearbox, the one you have, has rarely caused any trouble and has been very reliable when lubed like the instructions show.  Unfortunately yours is the rare case.   We now have 16 years since the version 5 chassis came out, and the reliability has been amazing overall when not damaged by an accident.  Both of my original Annies from 2001 are still going strong and I have a year around layout. 

For future reference can you say what you found when you opened up the old gearbox?  was it the main gear? cracked at the axle?  the other gears or more than one gear damaged?   What kind of damage?  Let us know if you can.   

A good cleaning of the track and running gear before you put it away is a great idea, and yes the Bachmann EZ lube products are fine.  Also it is a good idea to store it in a cool dry place where temperatures  are not extreme.

Glad things worked out for you!   

Bill

mekump

Bill,

The gear that meshes with the worm gear on the motor, no teeth left. Gearbox seemed to have plenty of grease.

The loco pulls 4 Bachmann lighted passenger cars that have multiple copper strips sprung against the wheels for electrical pickup which creates a lot of rolling resistance. I am thinking of replacing these wheels with wheels that have ball bearings with electrical pickups to help the cars roll easier which I hope will reduce the stress on the loco.

I am glad to hear the version 5 gearbox is so reliable. I was worried. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I purchased this set at a local train show, so I don't really know the history of the loco.

I haven't yet ordered a chassis, your earlier suggestion, but I am leaning more towards doing just that. If nothing else, I'll have some spare parts.

Thank you for your time and the information you have provided me.

Michael

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Michael for the gear info, and you are welcome.  Whatever you decide on the chassis, good luck with it.  As for the drag caused by the wipers on the passenger cars, it does cause strain, but I often run my Annies  with 14 or more freight cars up some fairly steep grades with only the caboose lighted and have had no issues and I am not using ball bearing wheel sets.  The ball bearing wheel sets are costly but do roll very well compared to the stock wheel sets. The passenger cars were made several ways, some with track power and some with battery boxes to power the lights. Some guys have converted the cars to LED lighting with battery power using warm white Led's .   This eliminates the drag completely and has the added advantage of less draw on the power pack and allows the light to remain on while the train is stopped at a station. Of course the disadvantage is you have to replace batteries from time to time.  Another method is to leave only one car with the track pickups and run wires to the other cars using mini connectors eliminating the drag from the other cars.  I like the battery method and use rechargeable  batteries.   It is a personal preference of course, and I always say do what works for you. The main thing is to have fun with it.

Bill