Christmas Train Stopped working after adding track

Started by stevestrauss9, December 26, 2016, 10:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevestrauss9

Hoping someone can help.  I'm not an expert by any means with my G scale Christmas train.  Get it out once a year and enjoy it during the holidays.  As a gift,I've received track over the last 5 years to the point that I thought I was ready to elongate my setup.  Used to just go in a circle around then christmas tree,, but now I've added a switch and crossing and plan to get enough track next year to finish the loops.

My problem is that in adding the switch and new track, the train won't run.  Gets no juice.  I've confirm all the track is setup correctly, and still nothing. What could I be doing wrong?  Does the track require a loop to be complete to operate?  Could the switch mess things up?

Any help is appreciated!

Flare

Did you set up the switch in a way that allows the train to go through it one way and come back through in the other direction?

That's called a reverse loop and requires special wiring to avoid a short-circuit.

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,

If you do not have a reverse loop as described by flare, it is possible that you may have inadvertently reversed the front truck. Check to make sure the arrow on the truck is facing forward or you will also have a short.

Let us know how you made out.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

stevestrauss9

Yes- that's exactly what I'd like to do.  Do you have any recommendations for information on how to properly set this up?  I'll need to execute two loops that feed to one straight path between them.

Thanks!

Flare

This page explains the necessary wiring involved for analog reverse loops:  http://www.azatrax.com/model-railroad-reverse-loop.html

A simpler, but much more expensive option would be to use DCC control since it uses alternating current instead of direct current the train can go in both directions on the main line and commercially available modules on the isolated reverse loops will detect the short as the train enters the loop and instantly reverse the loop's polarity.  You will also need a power booster or two for the extra power requirements of large scale.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1824
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1823

Depending on the age of your train the locomotive might not have the necessary DCC decoder, or even a socket for easily installing one.   :(

Hunt

Consider using a dog bone or semi dog bone track plan as it eliminates turnouts and the wiring required to use reverse loops.

Semi dog bone

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,

Wiring the loops is definitely doable, but can also be a pain operationally unless you automate the process.

The setup posted by Hunt is simple but elegant, requires no wiring, no DCC, no expensive controls or train control equipment, and you can still use your switches for sidings or a runaround track.

I strongly recommend Hunt's suggestion!

Have fun!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!