News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tearing apart to paint....now complete

Started by WoundedBear, December 29, 2016, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Here's a little BLI light Mikado that needed gear train repairs. That went easily enough, then the owner asked me to do a weathering job for him. Here's some shots so far.   This one broke apart fairly easily. Had a heck of a time sorting out where the clippy thingys on the cab were. I could see it wiggle, but couldn't figure out where to pry. There is a silly little snap-clip in each corner.

I even went  as far with this one as to paint the underside of the engine and tender. Here's some shots of the disassembly and masking. The electrics on these lift out as a one piece unit once the tender pickups are unsoldered. I will have some up close final shots soon.

Sid

jonathan

Man! Sid, when you disassemble, you d i s a s s e m b l e. This oughta be good.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Like the use of the clothespins; practical and effective. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Sid - I find these wheel painting jigs from Micro-Mark handy for keeping paint off the treads when weathering cars:

http://www.micromark.com/acrylic-paint-mask-for-ho-scale-wheels-set-of-2,11679.html

They come as a set of two, one for 33" and one for 36" wheels. I've reamed a couple of sets out for 42" diesel wheels and odd size tender wheels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

I've seen those things Len. I have always dismissed them as another expensive gimmick.

I guess if a guy was spraying his wheels it would work. I hand brush paint my wheel sets and don't have the issue of getting paint on the tread surfaces. Any little traces that do end up on there, are easily removed with a Q-tip and some thinner.

Sid

Len

Probably not needed if you hand paint wheels. I tend to do cars in batches, and spray the wheels, so find the jigs pretty handy.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I have one of those.  I still like the clothespin idea better.
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

The clothespins aren't to mask the wheels, Jim. I just use them to hold the wheelset while it dries. I paint it while twisting it in my fingers then pop it in the pin to dry. Also handy for keeping the black wash level while it dries and get it distributed around the wheel face evenly.

Sid

WoundedBear

Here's a few pics I took this afternoon. Was a busy day at the bench. Now I'll stare at the big pics and see what needs touch ups........way easier than using the magnifier.....lol.

Enjoy!

Sid

tiebreaker

dutchbuilder

Nice job.
The only thing i am missing is calcification around valves and water intakes.

Ton

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on December 30, 2016, 08:05:23 PM
The clothespins aren't to mask the wheels, Jim.

Sid

I get that you aren't using them to mask them Sid but can't you use the clothespins to hold the wheel-sets while painting them?  I just did.

Where'd the paint come from on the clothespins? 

BTW, the plastic device is not only for when someone spray paints their wheel-sets; it's ok to use it to hold them while using a brush to paint them.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan