News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coca Cola Xmas Train

Started by manofthesea, January 09, 2017, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manofthesea

Sorry but I don't seem to be able to reply to any more posts..
Thanks to everyone for their responses.
Sewing machine oil, I'll definitely pick some up. I was working on the road today (on the Honolulu Rail Project) and there was a sewing machine shop right at the intersection.
I cleaned my track, but there are still a couple of locations where my train stalls and the lights on the cars flicker. I decided to order a new track consisting of 12 curved sections and 2 straights, exactly like my existing track. I also bought a new controller.
My train consists of 1 loco, 1 engine and 7 cars which basically envelops my entire track.

Thanks again.

tiebreaker

Your other thread was locked by the moderators of the forum. Usually happens when the subject of the thread is no longer the issue.
Do you have a multi-meter? This link was provided by a member here and is useful for finding problems. It can help you find your problem most of the time.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm
If you suspect a track section to be a problem I would check the resistance of the track in that particular section.

manofthesea

Yes, I have a multimeter. Do you have a suggestion as to what readings I should look for? Should I disassemble the track and measure the suspect section or measure the whole track?
Thanks.

James in FL

Check continuity between each track section on each rail all the way around the layout.
Disassembling the track pieces defeats the purpose.
The continuity test is done with the power supply off and unplugged from the track.
The link, provided by tiebreaker, in the previous thread shows exactly how to do this.
Scroll about half way down.
No need for new track or a new power supply.
If continuity is good it may be a level issue.

tiebreaker

Thanks James, have not been able to get back right away with work.
I have heard of a section of EZ track being dead before but I don't understand how since it is solid rail. I think it was on this forum I read that. I would do a continuity check on the piece in question.

James in FL

QuoteI have heard of a section of EZ track being dead before but I don't understand how since it is solid rail.

A section of rail can be dead only if the joiners are not making positive electrical contact, think insolated (plastic) joiners, or if there are no joiners employed. I guess if the rail was severed then part of it may not conduct voltage.
But a solid bare n/s rail length is a conductor and it is not possible that it would not conduct electricity.
Electricity is the movement of charge.
As long as there is nothing to impede the charge (resistance), it will move.

This is basic electrical theory 101.
You cannot go against the laws.
http://www.rapidtables.com/electric/Kirchhoff_laws.htm

manofthesea

I received my new track and...JOY! Everything is fine.
As far as my old track is concerned, I found that there was a rail connector missing on a section of track.
I installed a new connector and the track worked better, but not great. Perhaps running it for weeks with a missing connector created a continuity problem between that track section and others. My attempt at cleaning the track obviously failed but I have 10 months to deal with my track cleaning prowess.

Thanks again guys!

manofthesea

BTW, I will also be practicing my multimeter skills.
One more question, can I take DC readings on the track?

Thanks.