News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opinions of DCC systems

Started by kenp, November 28, 2007, 06:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenp

I know this is a "Bachmann" site. But as the Bachmann DCC system is strictly entry level, I was wondering what opinions there might be out there about the competing "high-end" systems, specifically when using wireless cabs. Digitrax, NCE, EasyDCC etc. Even MRC, not quite the capabilities of the others, but worth considering.

SteamGene

I use Digitrax and like it
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Lots of my friends have Digitrax, I don't care for it - too many buttons - display too hard to read - free spinning throttle knobs give no sense of position - plugging in of radio throttles to capture locos is a pain. UT4R throttle is better than the "big" one, but those little wheels are hard to turn to set the address.

I  don't use DCC, but I looked into it very carefully a while back and keep up with it by default since many I model with use it. I would go with EasyDCC if I ever did want DCC. Simple radio throttles, no plugging in, large display, few buttons.

Sheldon

ebtbob

I too use Digitrax.   I have a friend that uses NCE and I find the two to be basically the same.    Best thing you can do is get to places that use different types of systems and run trains.   That will go a long way to helping you make a decision.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

amdaylight

I will throw my hat into the ring, I have a friend that uses Digatrax and I use NCE/System One. There are several reasons that I went with NCE over Digatrax.

I could order the throttles with a 5 pin dip plug rather than the plug similar to the one that is used on a phone which I felt to be vulnerable to breakage being that it really was designed to be plugged in once and left there for a while, not plugged in and out all the time. And all of my friends
Digatrax throttles have had the little plastic tab that holds them in the socket broken off over the years.

Second, I found the throttle easier to use and people that have not used the NCE system usually can figure it out how to use it with out any help from me. I don't know about the new Digatrax throttles but the earlier ones did not have the F buttons labeled where the NCE ones had a bell, light, whistle on the f button that controlled that function. I realize that by not putting these symbols on the button made it easier to assign these button to something else, but I never have had any reason to.

Third it has true wireless system in that you do not need to plug in to acquire a train, the throttle is a transceiver, not just a transmitter.

Now most systems will connect to your PC and with the free software that I got off of the internet I find that to be much easier and preferred method for programing CV's rather than trying to go through all of them using the throttle.

This really the Ford versus Chevy debate, guy's that have one think it is the best and guy's that have the other think that it is the best and the other guy has to be a nut case. ;D

My beast advise is to go to your local hobby shop and look at them all and see which one they like and why do they like it!

Andre Anderson :)

;) And any one that uses Digatrax is a nut case and Dodge is better than either a Ford or a Chevy!  ;) ;D

Jim Banner

Unless you are already thoroughly familiar with a particular system, there is a lot to be said for going with whatever system is commonly used locally.  Check with your club, hobby shop or local Guru.  Virtually everyone needs some help from time to time.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.