News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 American drive shaft

Started by Rocket_Scientist, January 03, 2017, 01:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket_Scientist

Ok,

I have 3 of these 4-4-0 virtually new in the box that i've had for many years. These models are the generation where Bachmann went from the very large cup style driveshaft to the very small ball/pin style. I was running one (The B & O) to break in, and apparently there was very little lube in the sockets and after an hour or so of running, I had a lock-up that actually flipped the loco right off the track from the motor torque.

Lubed everything and ran the loco with a small power drill just to make sure no binding in the mechanism. The driveshaft itself had snapped in half. Ordered new ones and apparently this latest generation has a slightly longer drive shaft. I haven't pulled apart one of my undamaged 4-4-0's to actually measure the shaft so just asking if off hand anyone knows what the exact length the shaft should be. The latest version is 10mm. Looking at the pieces of the old shaft compared to the new version it looks like maybe somewhere between 1 to 1.5mm shorter. The longer shaft prevents the loco from sitting square on the track as the extra length causes the engine to bow up.

Since bachmann doesn't list this intermediate generation part, any idea where i can find the right sized shaft? Oh and the instruction/parts list that came with the loco actually listed the older hex cup style shaft, not the correct one that's actually in the loco itself. Maybe the "Bachhmann" can see if there's any NOS laying around? Thanks!

James in FL

A possible source, no affiliation.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Bachmann+drive+shaft&type=

Contact the designer for specific model application.

Good luck