Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Refurbishing a classic Northern 4-8-4

Started by nprovenzo, January 03, 2017, 07:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nprovenzo

I have a Northern 4-8-4 (Burlington) from the 70s/80s. It's shown here:

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id44.html

I need to replace the drive wheels, side rods and cylinder frame assembly.

Any sources for parts other than eBay? If I send it in, will Bachmann honor their lifetime guarantee?

ACY

Parts can be obtained from ebay, flea markets, estate sales, garage sales, etc
Bachmann does not have parts for this older model as far as I know.
If you can provide a copy of your receipt from the shop you purchased it from (it cannot be purchased used or second hand), then they will give you a selection of locomotives to replace it if you pay the nominal service charge for replacement of the locomotive which could be as much as $45 for HO scale. But please be aware that your choices will not include a 4-8-4 steam locomotive of any sort unfortunately, this is because of the age of the old locomotive and the price disparity (especially since the newer models also include DCC and other improved features and some also have sound as well). Your choices will likely include a Brill trolley, a non sound & DCC PCC streetcar, a cable car, a non sound & DCC GP40 or GP50, a non DCC GP30, or a standard analog F7.

nprovenzo

Are there other models that use the Northern 4-8-4 wheelset? You know, so I can cast a wider net.

ACY

One thing I forgot to mention though it should be fairly obvious, be sure to stick to the older models when you are looking for the spare parts.

If you are not set on having a Burlington engine, you may do better to just purchase a new locomotive. A new 4-8-4 model with DCC can be purchased for around $130 give or take $20.

The older models were not of the best quality and as they are getting older are more prone to various issues unfortunately.

richiy

I just looked at some diagrams at HO Seeker of what appears to be that loco. They had the smoke unit and a pancake motor in a split frame. Those motors were not very good.

I did not see one that had a sound module in the loco or tender though so maybe not the same loco.

richiy

richiy

Quote from: nprovenzo on January 06, 2017, 05:48:38 AM
This is the engine:

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann484northerndiagram1990.jpg

Getting 403 Permission Denied
You do not have permission for this request /assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann484northerndiagram1990.jpg

That has been happening for some time. Happened in other forums. I tried contacting, Larry the owner but no response. Has happened to a few others which is why I did not post the link.

richiy

Gump

Surfing around (maybe Google Images), an enthusiast had a complete restoration of the model you've mentioned (i.e. driver axles, motor, etc.).  In other words, it can be done, it has been done.   I'm sorry I can't direct you to his pages but it's out there.
Good Luck, learn a lot, have fun !!
PS -- I have the same model with the same plans ---- next year ?